Buying a GPS

dancingsaxes

Okay guys. I have gotten into caching after a failed attempt at a con in Chicago I was at. Anyways, right now I have samsung galaxy S4 and am using c:geo. I really like that I can peek on and see what's going around at a moments notice. I would ideally like a dedicated gps for caching since I have found myself getting off the beaten path and it jumps around from time to time. I am used to touch screen and something that would run similar to c:geo would be great. From what I am reading paperless would appeal to me. Also looking for something durable since I have no problem caching in rain, and am a little forgetful (my S4 went flying off the top of my dad's car at 45 mph when I forgot to take it off the roof). Something that I could probably attach a lanyard. Also looking for something with a backlight since I have been finding myself caching after work on the way home. I don't mind paying extra for a quality unit that will meet my needs and last for awhile. I hope I gave enough details to help you to recommend the best unit for me. Oh, I have never used a gps stand alone except in a car for turn by turn. IE: typing in Kroger and turn by turn.

Thanks in advance.

To my knowledge, the new Monterra is the only device that comes close to bridging the gap between standard GPSr devices and smartphones (Android only). Obviously, that is outside your budget, so you'll have to get used to the fact that a GPSr uses its own proprietary software and does not have the connectivity of a smartphone (not even the Monterra has that).

I've used most units in the field ( except Oregon 600 ) and much prefer the Garmin 62S. The Montana is just too big and the Oregon X50 touch screens are not near responsive enough for my taste.

Nothing beats actually using these units in the field to see which you prefer.

I have a Montana and it's about the same size (length) as the OP's Samsung Galaxy S4, but about an inch and a half wider and a lot more durable. With the new Monterra coming out, you might see some discounted prices on the Montana and/or reduced prices for used ones. I personally don't find it too big but I know others do. Garmin is also coming out with the 64 in the near future (not sure of the time frame just yet) that's based on the successful 60 and 62 series. Those are button based units instead of touch screen. The best way to find what you're willing/wanting to use is exactly what BAMBOOZLE suggests - use one in the field. See if your local group (if you have one) has some that they'd be willing to let you borrow for a day to see if you'd like it.

Okay guys. I have gotten into caching after a failed attempt at a con in Chicago I was at. Anyways, right now I have samsung galaxy S4 and am using c:geo. I really like that I can peek on and see what's going around at a moments notice. I would ideally like a dedicated gps for caching since I have found myself getting off the beaten path and it jumps around from time to time. I am used to touch screen and something that would run similar to c:geo would be great. From what I am reading paperless would appeal to me. Also looking for something durable since I have no problem caching in rain, and am a little forgetful (my S4 went flying off the top of my dad's car at 45 mph when I forgot to take it off the roof). Something that I could probably attach a lanyard. Also looking for something with a backlight since I have been finding myself caching after work on the way home. I don't mind paying extra for a quality unit that will meet my needs and last for awhile. I hope I gave enough details to help you to recommend the best unit for me. Oh, I have never used a gps stand alone except in a car for turn by turn. IE: typing in Kroger and turn by turn.

Thanks in advance.

getting started, Get a something like a low priced Garmin e-trex or Magellan 310. Many cachers lose interest after a few months to a year. A basic gps will work just fine when starting out, if you get tired of caching after a while you are not out of a lot of money.