Geocache App

PrincessMouse

I want to download an app for my iphone so that I can follow the GPS coordinates without having to purchase a new GPS.

Can someone tell me the best app to use? And can I search for caches on it? Also, can I just download a gps app and manually plug in coordinates?

Also (sorry sorry) is there anyway to plug the coordinates into the compass that comes already on the iphone?

Thanks so much!

Princess Mouse

The official Groundspeak app.... There is a free version, but it is very limited.

The only way (that I know of) to punch in coordinates in the iphone, is by punching them into google maps or the apple maps. I've used both for driving directions to the cache on a 'street by street' level. I've never used the 'hiker' and I'm not sure how it works when in the 'hiker' mode.

You could try it out and let us know how it goes....

But personally... If you like geocaching..... the $10 Groundspeak app is the best $10 you'll ever spend (well, almost).

I want to download an app for my iphone so that I can follow the GPS coordinates without having to purchase a new GPS.

Can someone tell me the best app to use? And can I search for caches on it? Also, can I just download a gps app and manually plug in coordinates?

Also (sorry sorry) is there anyway to plug the coordinates into the compass that comes already on the iphone?

Thanks so much!

Princess Mouse

Part of this problem is the train of thought...

Most all geocaching apps have the ability to perform an online search for active caches -- why would "just...manually plug in coordinates" even enter into the picture? Any cache one would hunt for is already there and displayed for your hunt.

This does not take into account hunting multi-caches and other "staged" caches, but even at that, I believe the ability to add additional waypoints exist on all apps.

Phone apps have pretty much eliminated the "stone-age" method of having to manually enter coordinates for each specific cache.

Admittedly, the free (official) geocaching.com app and the Intro app have restrictions placed upon them, but the $10 (official) app does it all. Many, if not all other free apps, also do it all.

If you don't want to cough-up for a dedicated GPSr, the $10 (one-time expense) app should be considered a real bargain.... $10 vs 120+.

Edited by Gitchee-Gummee

The official Groundspeak app.... There is a free version, but it is very limited.

The only way (that I know of) to punch in coordinates in the iphone, is by punching them into google maps or the apple maps. I've used both for driving directions to the cache on a 'street by street' level. I've never used the 'hiker' and I'm not sure how it works when in the 'hiker' mode.

You could try it out and let us know how it goes....

But personally... If you like geocaching..... the $10 Groundspeak app is the best $10 you'll ever spend (well, almost).

I have the official Groundspeak app for $10 and cannot, for the life of me, figure out how to add a new waypoint when I am doing a multi cache. Could you please point me in the right direction?

THANK YOU!!!

I have the official Groundspeak app for $10 and cannot, for the life of me, figure out how to add a new waypoint when I am doing a multi cache. Could you please point me in the right direction?
Here you go, from the Help Center:

Creating Waypoints on the Android App

Creating Waypoints on the iPhone App

Thank you for responding but this does not work. After you click on Naviagte to Geocache it brings you to your compass. The only things at the top are buttons for BACK, COMPASS (which is hilighted already) and MAP. There are no ...

Here you go, from the Help Center:

Creating Waypoints on the Android App

Creating Waypoints on the iPhone App

Thank you for responding but this does not work. After you click on Naviagte to Geocache it brings you to your compass. The only things at the top are buttons for BACK, COMPASS (which is hilighted already) and MAP. There are no ...

It sounds like you are in Compass mode. The ... button is only visible when you are in the Map mode of navigation (for whatever reason).

While navigating, if you are in Compass mode, select Map. In that view the ... button should be there.