Geocaching with a Smartphone in an area with no service?

karisaf

Hi there,

This may be a silly question, but is it possible to use the geocaching.com app on a smartphone when in an area where there is no service? There is a beautiful redwood forest with lots of caches near us but I'm scratching my head as to how to find them since we can't access anything while there. I have seen the offline option- is that what we need to do? And if so, could someone walk me through exactly what I'd need to do?

Thanks so much!

• Funny 1

It's been a while since I used Groundspeak's Geocaching app, but I recall it working just fine when I was offline. I currently use Neongeo (an Android app), and I know it works fine when I am offline.

There are a few things that won't work of course. You can't download live data when offline, so be sure to download and save cache data while your online, so you have it available later.

And you can't download live map data when offline, so you need to navigate without map data, or you need to use cached map data. (Neongeo has a cached map feature, but I haven't actually used it myself, other than incidental use when I view a map tile that I've already viewed, that is still in the cache, and it displays the cached version.)

And you can't upload logs or field notes when offline, so you need to save field notes, and then upload them later, when you're back online.

And if you go somewhere new and then turn on the GPS function, then it can take a while to get a lock. The phone can't download satellite data over the network when you're offline, and has to wait to receive the data from the GPS satellites themselves, just like a normal handheld GPS receiver.

But with those caveats, the GPS function itself should work just fine.

Edited by niraD

And if you go somewhere new and then turn on the GPS function, then it can take a while to get a lock. The phone can't download satellite data over the network when you're offline, and has to wait to receive the data from the GPS satellites themselves, just like a normal handheld GPS receiver.

Just a minor point of clarity (and nit picking a bit, I admit :), and based on my knowledge only of Apple devices) - GPS data isn't downloaded over the cell network; depending on the phone model, it may use cell tower triangulation to speed up location services - this is never off, as far as I know, as long as the device GPS functionality is on (and there is cell tower service). Satellite GPS data is always retrieved by standard GPS technology - locating satellite signals (for phones with said GPS technology, and not just the emulated location services via cell/wifi locating).

Having no cell connection only makes GPS locating slower on certain smartphones because there are no towers (no cell service) by which to triangulate. But as long as the phone has GPS capability, that will always work (as you say, just like a handheld GPS receiver).

Point to remember, OP: Don't put your phone in airplane mode (at least if it's an iphone, which is all I can speak for) as that also turns off GPS reception completely. If you want to save battery while you're knowingly out of cell service, then you could turn off all your data and cell options manually, but leave it in normal mode. GPS will continue to work, while A-GPS (cell tower triangulation) won't be available.

Edited by thebruce0
Having no cell connection only makes GPS locating slower on certain smartphones because there are no towers (no cell service) by which to triangulate. But as long as the phone has GPS capability, that will always work (as you say, just like a handheld GPS receiver).
Different phones implement Assisted GPS (AGPS) differently, but there are multiple aspects to it. One is what you indicated: getting a location from cell tower triangulation, which speeds getting a GPS lock, and gives the device an approximate location until it gets a GPS lock. (Android devices can also work with the locations of WiFi networks, but that's comparable to cell tower triangulation.) Another is the ability to get GPS-related data from the network (satellite orbital data, precise time) rather than getting it from the GPS satellite signal (which can take more than 10 minutes). And some devices may also transmit the satellite signal data to a remote server with more processing power, rather than doing the computations locally.

I've used a few different Android devices, and all of them have been able to function as GPS devices when offline, so none of them relied on a remote server to do the computations. They have taken a long time (10+ minutes) to get a lock when moved 100+ miles with the GPS functionality turned off, to a location with no cell signal. And they have sometimes given me an inaccurate location (based on triangulation), that jumped to the correct location once they got a GPS lock.

But other devices may behave differently.

Hi there,

This may be a silly question, but is it possible to use the geocaching.com app on a smartphone when in an area where there is no service? There is a beautiful redwood forest with lots of caches near us but I'm scratching my head as to how to find them since we can't access anything while there. I have seen the offline option- is that what we need to do? And if so, could someone walk me through exactly what I'd need to do?

Thanks so much!

I do not know about the geocaching.com app, but I use Neongeo and c:geo caching apps on my phone. C:geo I know I can make caches available offline and I have have been in a few areas where I have had no cell service and my GPS has worked just fine with out it. Then again, my phone was designed with the outdoors in mind. I cache with the Casio Commando, a Verizon exclusive phone. I am planning on upgrading to the Commando 4g LTE in the next month or so. I love my phone.

Another option you may look at is getting an app like GeoBeagle where you can download a PQ to and that app works and acts more like a standard GPS device would. Then for logging, you would have a few options, just wait till you got home to log them on your comp or favorite caching app, or as mentioned before, make a field note and upload later once you are back in cell range again. I have not had much experiance with GeoBeagle, so I don't know if you can upload logs from the app direct or not. Also, my phone is an android phone, so since it was not mentioned if you have an apple or android, all apps I suggested or mentioned are available for the android system.

Good luck in finding a solution that works for you.

Another is the ability to get GPS-related data from the network (satellite orbital data, precise time) rather than getting it from the GPS satellite signal (which can take more than 10 minutes). And some devices may also transmit the satellite signal data to a remote server with more processing power, rather than doing the computations locally.

Ah ok, so there are some devices that do that. I feel vindicated in my constant statements that brands and models do matter when talking about "smartphones" ;) thx for the info.

Also, you will find your battery life greatly extended if you shut off cell service when you get out into the woods where you know you will not have coverage. If you do not, most cell phones go into a panic mode, searching for a signal to lock on to. I have on occasion had my phone battery drained in 2 hours in this situation. If you have an Android phone, just select Airplane Mode. The GPS will still be functional but all the cellular services will be shut off. If it's an iPhone, you can't use Airplane mode because that shuts off the GPS too. I think there is a way to shut off mobile voice and data on the iPhone but leave the GPS active. Perhaps a knowledgeable iPhone user will chime in with those steps.

I have an Android, so I will select airplane mode. Thanks!
I have read that airplane mode turn off the gps on some phones. That post said to individually turn off your wifi & cell service during those times.
I've also been able to turn on airplane mode, and then explicitly turn on the GPS antenna.
I think there is a way to shut off mobile voice and data on the iPhone but leave the GPS active. Perhaps a knowledgeable iPhone user will chime in with those steps.

Look up ;)

Unless you mean specific steps. In which case, it's just under Settings > General > Cellular; turn everything off. GPS will stay on.

Edited by thebruce0

None of these answers apply to my current situation. I am in France, having traveled from Seattle with my Android phone off. It sees the European satellites, but will not fix on them. I've left it stationary for up to two hours without a fix. Is there a way to get it to speak French? ;-)

Thanks

None of these answers apply to my current situation. I am in France, having traveled from Seattle with my Android phone off. It sees the European satellites, but will not fix on them. I've left it stationary for up to two hours without a fix. Is there a way to get it to speak French? ;-)

Thanks

It can be EXTREMELY difficult for a device to locate satellites have traveled many miles while turned off.

Many devices allow you to "set" the current location. This allows the device to find the available satellites much easier.

I had to do that just the other day with my GPSr upon stopping after a 500+ mile trip.

I do not know how to do such with an Android device, so I cannot advise the steps to take.