Can I hide a cache in Water?

KazumiSun

I wouldn't put it anywhere near the docks in a fishing pond.

If you think that muggles are a problem with caches on dry ground, what about every little kid (and adult) seeing somebody mucking about in the water obviously searching for something... much less, putting it back where they found it?

This would be a pretty tough scenario to be stealthy, ya think?

Yes, it's certainly allowed, but plan it very carefully.....you need to select a VERY waterproof container, or as an alternative, maybe make it a multi where the underwater stage is an item with the final coordinates, like a metal dog tag with the coords stamped on it, then have the actual final container located somewhere else.

Yes you can, I hid a match container glued to a rock on the bottom of a creek bed, it's great! You have to make sure the container is waterproof, try a kayaking shop for a larger container, or just a camping store for one of those waterproof match containers. You also have to make sure that it is tied to something underwater or weighted down or otherwise it would just float away. Good luck!

Yes, it's certainly allowed, but plan it very carefully.....you need to select a VERY waterproof container, or as an alternative, maybe make it a multi where the underwater stage is an item with the final coordinates, like a metal dog tag with the coords stamped on it, then have the actual final container located somewhere else.

Thanks for the information

Yes you can, I hid a match container glued to a rock on the bottom of a creek bed, it's great! You have to make sure the container is waterproof, try a kayaking shop for a larger container, or just a camping store for one of those waterproof match containers. You also have to make sure that it is tied to something underwater or weighted down or otherwise it would just float away. Good luck!

Thanks, my Dad loved fishing so I have lot's of weights, I know the " WaterProof" will be tricky....my underwater "dream cache" would be a crab trap with a big rubber Crab inside the trap, and the crab would have the water proof cache inside it.....

I love to make my own dyi cache. I made two so far one I placed, I received a few remarks " very cool cache" :laughing: Thanks for anwering my question, have fun geocaching

I hope to find your cache onday :anibad::surprise:

If you think that muggles are a problem with caches on dry ground, what about every little kid (and adult) seeing somebody mucking about in the water obviously searching for something... much less, putting it back where they found it?

Good point, I will have to give it more thought....Thanks

PS I grew up in the same town were Yogi Berra lived, when we were little we would ride our bikes over to his house, ring his door bell and whoever answed the door would hand us a sign picture of him. Very sweet man, very nice to kids.

...my underwater "dream cache" would be a crab trap with a big rubber Crab inside the trap, and the crab would have the water proof cache inside it.....

I love to make my own dyi cache. I made two so far one I placed, I received a few remarks " very cool cache" :laughing: Thanks for anwering my question, have fun geocaching

:laughing: Sounds great! Close enough to me that I can come look for it when you do it. Put a note here when it's done, OK?

...my underwater "dream cache" would be a crab trap with a big rubber Crab inside the trap, and the crab would have the water proof cache inside it.....

:laughing: Sounds great! Close enough to me that I can come look for it when you do it. Put a note here when it's done, OK?

Yes I will keep you posted. thanks

Yea i recon you should because it gives people a challenge as long as you put it in shallow water

There's no reason a cache can't be placed in deep water.

Many have been placed in deep water, to the extent that scuba gear/diving is actually, truly necessary to retrieve the cache.

Or, one could need a boat or canoe or kayak to reach the location.

D/T ratings of higher difficulty that are truly earned.

B.

Edited by Pup Patrol