First timer, now hooked

I just wanted to go public and thank whoever invented this cool sport.

Over the weekend, I was looking for something to do with my mom. She is going through some tough times, emotionally speaking, and I wanted to find something new that we could both do together. (Usually, the only thing that we both like to do is go to the movies.) She'll be 60 this year, but she stays active by walking around the neighborhood and when I heard about Geocaching, I knew it was something we could do together.

On Saturday, we looked up a cache that was in the Pine Barrens near my old high school. My mom and I brought my brother in law and a friend with us and spent a few hours hunting down our first cache. Mom had a great time and so did I. (Not to mention that we got some great exercise and were able to talk about some of the things that have been getting her down, along the way...)

Thanks so much for this cool sport. I hope to remain a dedicated participant.

New to geocaching myself... and already an addict. My buddy Splash hooked me when she forced me to do one down the road from her house about two weeks back. Went this past Saturday for a full day of geocaching. We were going out for nine in total, but only managed to get 7 due to the fact that one had been stolen and the other was under water due to heavy rains (and it was still raining saturday while we were out, but we had a blast anyway). I don't think I have ever come back from a pleasue hike as nasty as I was Saturday.. but GAWD! What a great feeling. I can't wait to do it all again... No doubt about it ... I am a full fledged geo-smack addict now!

The Jaded Jeweler

Hello, mine name is Desert Viking and I am a geo-addict. I have been cacheless for 7 days now (recovering from an injury). I'm having serious withdrawal.

Welcome. You and your mom will never be the same again.

That moss-covered bucket I hailed as a treasure,

For often at noon, when I returned from the field,

I found it the source of an exquisite pleasure.

Samuel Woodworth The Old Oaken Bucket

quote:
Originally posted by Tom Hespos:

Welcome to the addiction! icon_smile.gif You'll never look at anything the same. Not sprinkler heads, not trees, shrubs, park benches, rocks, nor public phones. Someday you may find yourself wandering in the local park with a flashlight at 10:PM looking for the ever elusive "First To Find". LOL! It's a lot of fun, and a great way to spend time with loved ones. icon_biggrin.gif

Never invoke anything bigger than your head.

quote:
Originally posted by Tom Hespos:

I'm on my second week. I don't know exactly when I became aware of Geocaching, but I know it was a while back.

I didn't think about it much, since I didn't have a GPS, and my days are pretty busy (I'm gone from the house from 6:00 AM to about 8:00 PM because of my job.)

However, I recently got a GPS receiver for my PDA, so I was looking for something to do with it (how many of us have gotten started that way?)

A buddy on an email list mentioned that he Geocached, so I went looking around and found this site. That was two weeks ago and so far I've got 7 finds.

I'm doing my searches on my way home from work (a 1.5 hour commute, if I drive stright through,) or during lunch. Soon I'll have done all the conveniant ones, so I'll have to start devoting more of my weekends to this sillyness!

-- RK

I'm new to geocaching also I stumbled on to it by reading a story on slashdot.org and was instantly addicted I couldn’t wait and went out and found 4 caches before I even had a GPS. I've had my GPS for there days now and am up to 10 cache's found I just can't get enough. I placed my first cache yesterday (a micro) and can't wait until someone finds it. This weekend I have plans to go cache hunting with some friends and will go rain or shine. I am already thinking of the future, Oh-My-God there is only 783 cache's within 100 miles of me, what am I going to do when I use them all up! icon_biggrin.gif

[This message was edited by runner_one on June 19, 2003 at 11:49 AM.]

First, welcome from a relativly newbie cacher...

Since you are sharing I will too. Had a car that had a Nav system in it. Got rid of said car because I needed a truck. Didn't realize how much I used the GPS until I didn't have it. Was searching online for a handheld GPS and stumbled across Groundspeak. It took me all of 20 minutes to go out to the local yellow electronix box and get my Garmin. About an hour later I was doing the 'drunken bee dance' in the woods looking for my first cache. Since December I have lost about 40 pounds. That's enough motivation for me. My wife laughs and tells me 'it's nerds in the woods'. I am hopelessly addicted

Hi all...

We (me, my son (3 and 1/2 years old) and my daughter (5 months old)..) are new to GeoCaching...a friend of mine took us on our first GeoCache and I just ordered my GPS..I am getting a Garmin eTrex Legend icon_smile.gif we didn't find the first cache we went to (we know it's tehre somewhere...it has been found since we were there..I am going to go back when I get my gps.) but the second one we went to we found easily and it was soo exciting!!!

my son calls it Treasure hunting...

we are letterboxing too icon_smile.gif and have 2 letterbox finds icon_smile.gif

-GeoDucksInMa for GeoCaching

-DuckiesFamily for Letterboxing

I was searching for the degree confluence project (which I had heard about years before) and came across Geocaching. Asked my more "gadget-endowed" friends who had a GPS.....that weekend I found 4 from 6 attempts with my father in law (the gadgetmeister)....now been caching a lot...Soon to do all in my little territory of ACT....have to head up to the bright lights of Sydney