After you find a cache you already DNF'd, how do you log it?

mud plodders

I started really geocaching this year and when I DNF a cache I then use my list of DNF's as a way of tracking if anyone finds them after me, etc. My question is; when I find a cache I had already DNF'd, what's the best way to log that? Should I edit my previous log, change the date, and change it to a Found It with the original DNF text still there. Should I leave the DNF log in place and just create a new log? I ask because I'd like to either remove my DNF log or edit it to a Find instead of keeping it there, because as I said I use my list of DNF's as a way of tracking which cache's I need to try again on :) However, I would like to log it the way it "should be" logged and follow what is good practice, thus why I'm asking :)

Thanks

mud plodders

It's best to leave the DNF log, as it's part of the cache history. Add a new log for the find.

What you can do for tracking, (I don't, but I'm sure people do), is make a DNF bookmark list, and add all your DNFs to it. Then remove the cache when you find it.

You definitely should make a new log for the find, as the CO doesn't get notified when a log is edited.

Edited by Kacher82

It's best to leave the DNF log, as it's part of the cache history. Add a new log for the find.

What you can do for tracking, (I don't, but I'm sure people do), is make a DNF bookmark list, and add all your DNFs to it. Then remove the cache when you find it.

Cool, that should work. Thanks Kacher :)

You dnf'ed it on xxx date.

You found it on yyy date.

Two completely different experiences, two completely different logs. That's the way I see it.

If you think you might get a shot at a "dnf to found it" challenge in the future, you might want to start a bookmark list of dnf's. If you find them later, you can edit the caches on the list to record your find date for them.

B.

It's totally up to you how you do it, pending how you use the lists.

Personally for me....I like to go back into my DNF list and see which caches I can go back to and try again.

After finding a previously DNF'd cache - I will first log a FIND on the cache. I will go back to the DNF log and change it to a 'write note' but keep the log intact and keep the date. I will often Add to the log and write:

"Avenged a DNF." Sometimes I'll put a date.

By changing it to a 'write note', it retains the original log and removes the cache from my DNF list.

Edited by Lieblweb

If you delete your DNF log or change it to a Note or Found it decreases the number of DNFs on the cache which makes it seem easier than it should be. That little stat of Finds vs DNFs at the top of the online log book is important to other seekers.

True, the number of DNFs is often the true indicator of the cache difficulty. I've seen many supposed 1 or 1.5 star difficulty caches with numerous DNFs. That lets searchers know that it isn't going to be a slam dunk easy find despite the low difficulty rating.

Edited by briansnat