Comparing Garmin devices

I have been comparing devices but still not sure which one to buy. Right now I am focussing on three different types:

- Gramin GPSMap 62st

- Garmin eTrex® 30

- Garmin Oregon 450t

I can't decide which one fits best for my purpose so any help is welcome.

Maybe there are other options.

Main reason is that my Samsung Galaxy S plus GPS feature is crappy. I will switch to another phone in a while but I want to be able to find those hard to find caches in the forest too.

Besides geo caching I like to track my hikes and bike trips and put them on endomondo or facebook.

I already use my mobile phone for storing the geo cache descriptions.

Should I:

- buy a new mobile phone right now so I can use that one for my hikes and bike trips and buy a very cheap GPS tracker for geo cache locations and my mobile phone for the descriptions

- buy a better GPS device which is capable of all features needed for geo caching

right now I am basic member. Does it influence what type of GPS tracker i should buy since i can't download GPX files?

Any advice is more than welcome.

I would say definitely a stand-alone GPSr for hiking and biking purposes, solely based upon battery consumption, unless you carry extra (charged) cell phone batteries along for the ride/hike.

I too, would suggest to forget the "t" designation as some exceptional (free and other paid-for) maps are available. You may even locate some that are dedicated to hiking and biking trails. Although the Garmin maps are good, some find them as lacking in some detail (such as trails).

Premium Member or not, it doesn't matter... but you did say, "right now I am basic member". As you delve further into geocaching, you most likely will upgrade your membership. If you purchase a GPSr that does not support PM, then when that update comes, you would need want to update both your membership AND your GPSr.

I would say definitely a stand-alone GPSr for hiking and biking purposes, solely based upon battery consumption, unless you carry extra (charged) cell phone batteries along for the ride/hike.

I too, would suggest to forget the "t" designation as some exceptional (free and other paid-for) maps are available. You may even locate some that are dedicated to hiking and biking trails. Although the Garmin maps are good, some find them as lacking in some detail (such as trails).

Premium Member or not, it doesn't matter... but you did say, "right now I am basic member". As you delve further into geocaching, you most likely will upgrade your membership. If you purchase a GPSr that does not support PM, then when that update comes, you would need want to update both your membership AND your GPSr.

given my needs, what would be your choice of GPSr?

Edited by hoedinie

For your location, either of the two that Redwoods Mtn Biker suggested.

Personally we have and love a make/model that lacks European support, otherwise I would recommend it.

It would work just fine in Europe, but I understand that it accepts no other maps and the producer does not have any European (Asian, African, Australian or South American maps -- that I am aware of).

Edit: Perhaps they will have other maps, someday...

Edited by Gitchee-Gummee

We have both a 62s and an Oregon 450.

In a nutshell:

Oregon 450 has touch screen (can be prone to accidental touches if you carry it in a pocket or even around your neck.

62s does not (no accidental touches).

62s screen is brighter and clearer than the Oregon.

GPS accuracy is the same

My husband and I have grown to enjoy the 62s better than the Oregon.

If you think you'll enjoy this hobby for the long haul - definitely get a dedicated handheld GPS. Read reviews & feedback and get the best unit you can afford for happier geocaching experiences

Leave the phones for logging.....

If you feel comfortable spending a little extra money, look at the 62sc. It has a faster processor and a camera. While the camera may not interest you, the faster processor makes a difference when drawing maps compared to the 62s. Also, check out the Oregon 600. Again, it's a little more expensive, but it has some nicer software features plus GLONASS capability. I would argue that the screen is more sunlight-readable than the 62, but it's probably a pretty subjective opinion.

I like the 62stc because I favor buttons over touch screens. I also like the "t" maps because where ever I travel, I will have a topo map. I also have the option of adding freemaps from gpsfiledepot.com and some of the other free maps. Yes, the 62stc costs a little more, but you are buying a rugged GPS that will last for years. Sooner or later Garmin, Magellan or Delorme will come out with some new feature and model that is appealing because that is how they stay in business. A new feature laden model won't perform it basic function ie navigating any better than the model it replaces. I can find caches with an old Garmin 310, Magellan Spor Trak, Delorme PN40, etc. just like I can with any new model. Since you are going to own the GPS for awhile, buy the best you can afford. Stay abreast of the changes and only plunk your money down for a new GPS when something materially changes that you just have to have. The cost of the "t" series will be long forgotten, but having to keep checking for maps and making sure you have the right map for some place you will visit will be with you forever. You have my advice. Good luck with whatever you decide.

You're going to like it.....I'm a GPS junkie and I feel the 62S is the best geocaching GPS I've ever used. On both my 62S I use software 3.90......I've had issues with the later software and earlier software had worse issues. If you want to use 3.90 go here:

http://garmingpsmap.wikispaces.com/Versions

Thank you for the info.

I have about 1 week to get to know it, get me some good maps for France and import all caches i already imported on my phone.

Hello,

I would like to get a GPS that can find and build Wherigo caches. I would like to get something nice but not to expensive. I have seen that the Garmin Colorado and the Garmin Oregon are listed. I have seen a Garmin Oregon 550T on Amazon but before we spend the money on it I want to make sure it will do what I want. I am not sure if we need it with the "T" or not and if we are going to "invest" in a new GPS should we look at the 650 or even something else? I wonder if this 62s that has been talked about in these comments would work for Wherigo caching?

Thank you for your time, tricket.

Edited by tricket

Canceled the order because it would be delivered too late at home. Went to a GPS shop and finally bought the GPSMap 62sc. Already found my first cache using it. A cache I would never be able to find with my mobile phone because of the trees and bushes.

Now all I need to do is get to know it and import some maps.

Thanks all for all the advice!

It would work just fine in Europe, but I understand that it accepts no other maps and the producer does not have any European (Asian, African, Australian or South American maps -- that I am aware of).

Edit: Perhaps they will have other maps, someday...

All current Garmin devices, accept maps from all over the planet, as long as they are in the proper format. GPSFiledepot has a couple of European countries, but you could use sussamb's link to create free OSM-maps.

OSM-maps vary in quality, but if you can, please contribute to the project if you find any issues, by reporting them on Open Street Bugs.

Hello,

I would like to get a GPS that can find and build Wherigo caches. I would like to get something nice but not to expensive. I have seen that the Garmin Colorado and the Garmin Oregon are listed. I have seen a Garmin Oregon 550T on Amazon but before we spend the money on it I want to make sure it will do what I want. I am not sure if we need it with the "T" or not and if we are going to "invest" in a new GPS should we look at the 650 or even something else? I wonder if this 62s that has been talked about in these comments would work for Wherigo caching?

Thank you for your time, tricket.

You can't "build" a Wherigo with a GPS, only mark some waypoints that you can use to delineate a zone when you create one. It's computer based and there are 4 builders - The Garmin/Groundspeak one (most buggy one as I can tell among the 4), Urwigo (easiest of the "true" builders, IMO), Earwigo - web based that I haven't used too much, and Wherigo//Kit by RangerFox, easiest of all but limited in what it can build.

If you have a smartphone you can now find apps to play the Wherigo carts; otherwise, you're limited to the Colorado and the Oregon (can't remember if the new ones can do Wherigos or not) I believe. I think the 62 series won't do Wherigo.

T version maps end up being a personal choice type of thing. They're NOT routable on Garmin units but they do have most roads and some topo lines at about one per 40 ft. (if I'm remembering right) of elevation to indicate elevation changes.

With the reduction in price of the older Oregons, those would be my suggestion for you to look at.

It's computer based and there are 4 builders - The Garmin/Groundspeak one (most buggy one as I can tell among the 4), Urwigo (easiest of the "true" builders, IMO), Earwigo - web based that I haven't used too much, and Wherigo//Kit by RangerFox, easiest of all but limited in what it can build.

Garmin created a Wherigo player for the Colorado and the first Oregons, but the builder used to make the cartridges was created by Groundspeak.