Language used in descriptions

*Sampo*

你就会被同化。抵抗是徒劳的。

What a coincidence:

Just last night I watched the rerun where USS Enterprise meets the Borg ship the first time. :grin:

On topic, I would also be grateful if I could read AND understand the cache description (and logs).

All of my caches have at least a short English translation. But I have to confess that I mostly log in Finnish (in Finland).

You have got to be friggin kidding me. :rolleyes:

I think all cache pages should be *required* to have mandarin on them, as this is the #1 most spoken language in the world.

China may be a political and economic superpower, but is it a caching superpower?? Didn't think so. 'Nuff said! <_<

While on holidays in Finland we had a bad experience in reading the descriptions on internet. Nowadays many people speak English. But the

Finnish descriptions and posted logs are in Finnish! It would make geocaching a lot nicer if everyone would add a small translation in English. A task for the volunteers to give an extra impuls to the new cache placers?

This reads like a setup to me.

<_<

Nah, Roman! didn't write it. :grin:

While on holidays in Finland we had a bad experience in reading the descriptions on internet. Nowadays many people speak English. But the

Finnish descriptions and posted logs are in Finnish! It would make geocaching a lot nicer if everyone would add a small translation in English. A task for the volunteers to give an extra impuls to the new cache placers?

This reads like a setup to me.

<_<

Nah, Roman! didn't write it. :grin:

I am Czech.

你就会被同化。抵抗是徒劳的。

What a coincidence:

Just last night I watched the rerun where USS Enterprise meets the Borg ship the first time. :grin:

On topic, I would also be grateful if I could read AND understand the cache description (and logs).

All of my caches have at least a short English translation. But I have to confess that I mostly log in Finnish (in Finland).

Borg on the brain, eh? We're currently watching re-runs of Voyager. These people go along way just for a geocache. "Tell the doctor I'll be back with severe burns". Gotta love Janeway.

As a linguist working for the company behind www.freetranslation.com I find this intriguing. Although tripdvisor use Google for common language pairs, they use us for rarer ones. Maybe we should be selling automatic translation to Groundspeak!

In that case, it wouldn't be *free*, would it. Sometimes I think *free* is often the most misused word on the internet.

I wrote all my cache´s descriptions both in finnish and english because even I live in small town there is lots of tourists around due to sports hall nearby. I guess the descriptions should be in english in Helsinki or other larger cities due to tourists. Finnish is a difficult language to learn, english is not...

Edited by marko77

As a linguist working for the company behind www.freetranslation.com I find this intriguing. Although tripdvisor use Google for common language pairs, they use us for rarer ones. Maybe we should be selling automatic translation to Groundspeak!

In that case, it wouldn't be *free*, would it. Sometimes I think *free* is often the most misused word on the internet.

As with Google Translate, it has free and paying models. freetranslation is free (give it a go). BeGlobal Enterprise (same technology, bigger and cleverer, for use on a business scale) isn't.

On another thread - might be the one linked to above) I suggested a multilingual glossary of common hint terms. I'd be happy to work on the FR-EN.