TravelBugs - Mission / Goals

MrCJDL

Hi All,

Not sure how easy/difficult this would be but I think it's worthy of discussion :D

So, we know that some people like to give TBs and GCs a specific mission, such as get to X cache, or get to X location... wouldn't it be good if there was some sort of 'Mission Update' on the bugs home page which showed how far and what direction it SHOULD be heading... e.g. "Goal is 100mi West!" along with a small map tile and track.

The 'goal' could be either an existing GC location (use GC code), or just a set of coords and description e.g. N 27° 59.160 E 086° 55.415 - Mount Everest.

Once a TB reaches it's goal, the owner can then choose to set a new goal, or to 'set it loose' and let it travel - completed goals could be left visible on the page, showing how many miles it covered to get there, and how many 'stops/visits', the history of the journey. Of course, an owner could choose not to set any goals, and it's just be 'free' to travel, by default, unless a goal was set.

Yay ? Nay ? Maybe ? I think it'd be a kinda cool additional to the trackable functionality.

Cheers,

Chris.

It might work... but I find few even bother to read a TB/GC page. It seems that so many now, just pick it up and use Visit logs for however long they want to -- regardless of the actual mission/goal. I sometimes wonder if they fail to realize that it does not increase their "Found" or "Logged" trackable stats. You can guess how often one who does 100-200-300 or more Visits with a single trackable have even bothered to look at that trackable page.

An included mission card attached and accompanying the trackable works far better. It too, can be changed later on with the assistance of a cacher that holds it "in-hand". Many are willing to make those changes.

The TB owner can EDIT the trackable webpage to reflect its current goal. And within the ABOUT this trackable - they can give a story of where its been along with any other information they want to include.

If the newest goal is to go to a certain cache, the TB owner can list the GC or the coordinates in the Current Goal field.

Unless, you ere referring to something else....

You used to be able to display the old-style TB maps on the TB page itself. Not sure when this was removed, but it existed at least in 2007.

I'd be fine with adding this function.

That must have been before my time. What TB maps are you talking about? There's a link to a map if you want to see it.

I agree! I'd love to see an option like that. I'm new enough that I religiously check the trackable's page for it's goal. It's frustrating to pick up a TB only to get it home (my phone is too dumb) and find out I can't help it in the way it should be helped along its route. Also, if it has been set free to "just wander" I hate to return it in the same direction it just came. But I'm sure that is what happens, since I don't know where it has been previously.

So, if my coin's goal was to visit Europe, what coordinates would I use?

Very seldom do I see a goal that is so specific as to single out an exact spot on the Earth. Certainly not often enough to justify a total rework of the TB page.