private property

4thnoel

I asked a person for permission to place one in the woods on their property and I was asked if they could be sued if someone got hurt. I also want to put one in the woods by my house and now I am worried about that. Does anyone know if we could get sued should someone get hurt? :unsure:

I asked a person for permission to place one in the woods on their property and I was asked if they could be sued if someone got hurt. I also want to put one in the woods by my house and now I am worried about that. Does anyone know if we could get sued should someone get hurt? :unsure:

For one thing, check those caveats & disclaimers everyone agrees to when they sign up as a member. Secondly, look at your homeowner's insurance policy. Thirdly, consider mentioning risks in your cache listing (e.g., "coffee may be hot"). Fourthly, you haven't created a new risk, have you (like putting a tarp over a hole)? None of this is legal advice, & anyone can sue anyone for anything (they may not win, of course). You have to decide whether the risks are small enough to go beyond.

yuppers, tell them & yourself - most probably can be sued...is that the great legal opinion you need? :rolleyes:...

however,the geo-opinion is -

you have a woods or maybe 2 woods devoid of caches? that's prime geo real estate for hiding reg ammo cans...heck yah, it's worth the risk !!

I agree it shouldn't be an issue of 'can they sue me' to which the answer is yes, but 'would a plaintiff have a case against me'.

In my completely uneducated opinion I would think that a person would have a better case against me if they were injured during a BBQ on my property rather than while they were engaged in an activity where it is possibly documented that they understood that the activity in question carried some level of risk.