Making a Geocoin proxy

eluga

I have several geocoins that I would like to travel but I know if I use the real coin, it will quickly disappear. I like the idea of a proxy coin but, besides taking a picture, does anyone have a suggestion on how to make one?

Print a front and back photo and crop and size it to match as close as possible the dimensions of the real coin. Glue to a washer the same size or something similar to give it a bit of heft then seal in a plastic coin holder. Voila'. Not your typical coin but with the weight and "feel" of one. Be sure to name it appropriately as a Proxy or finders will be seriously disappointed at being duped and will take it out on your construction... god forbid we should be raised to handle disappointments without resorting to temper tantrums!! Just don't expect nice emails expressing joy and kindness at moving your proxy traveller... well, maybe once in a while.

How 'bout making a wooden coin, sizing it then fixing the front and the back of the coin (photos) to it, then laminating the whole kit 'n kaboodle. Liquid laminates (epoxies, of sorts) are available in any hardware store.

You could also do the same using a plastic disc. Just be careful of what fixative (glue) that you use.

You can also have a proxy / replicoin made ... very inexpensive.

Here's a sample of what my geo-partner coin addict does to release her proxies. http://www.geocaching.com/track/details.aspx?tracker=TB57R8D

There are a number of great proxy versions available at the GxProxy company, in numerous colors. The coin is a thick replica coin and if you want to go one step farther I believe they can put a pic of your coin on the face of the proxy. An added cost I'm sure.

They actually do laser the real coin tracking number onto the proxy, but that is blocked out in the pic.

Gives you something far more substantial to send out instead of the real coin, while still placing a solid 'coin' into circulation.

Edited by nevadanick

Print a front and back photo and crop and size it to match as close as possible the dimensions of the real coin. Glue to a washer the same size or something similar to give it a bit of heft then seal in a plastic coin holder. Voila'. Not your typical coin but with the weight and "feel" of one. Be sure to name it appropriately as a Proxy or finders will be seriously disappointed at being duped and will take it out on your construction... god forbid we should be raised to handle disappointments without resorting to temper tantrums!! Just don't expect nice emails expressing joy and kindness at moving your proxy traveller... well, maybe once in a while.

Here's another example of putting a little work into a trackable page with a proxy ... and good comments are and can be regular.

http://www.geocaching.com/track/details.aspx?tracker=TB4W4EE

I like the idea of GxProxy coins. Making my own sounds like a lot of time and effort for occasionally making a geocoin trackable. I checked out the website and seems I have more questions than before I started. How large are the various proxy coins, how long before I get it, Should I include a paper description with the proxy (in a ziplock bag) so it won't get mistaken for regular SWAG? I don't think there are many, like myself, that are familiar enough with GxProxy that it would just be overlooked in a cache. I usually look for the dog tags to retrieve a TB.

Thanks for everyone's comments on this. Now to get off my backside and do something!

I like the idea of GxProxy coins. Making my own sounds like a lot of time and effort for occasionally making a geocoin trackable. I checked out the website and seems I have more questions than before I started. How large are the various proxy coins, how long before I get it, Should I include a paper description with the proxy (in a ziplock bag) so it won't get mistaken for regular SWAG? I don't think there are many, like myself, that are familiar enough with GxProxy that it would just be overlooked in a cache. I usually look for the dog tags to retrieve a TB.

Thanks for everyone's comments on this. Now to get off my backside and do something!

Just for clarification: ( :) )

a 'TB' is a Travel Bug and usually has the standard 'dog tag' appearance. (except for the window clings, t-shirts, stickers, etc)

a 'Geocoin' is a 'trackable', not truly a 'travel bug'.

This 'difference' accounts for the 2 forum sections, Geocoin Discussions ... and ... The Travel Bug. Each variety has it's own section and often times quite different followers. Some cachers (like myself and my geo-partner) enjoy both varieties.

Now ... your questions ...

How large are the various proxy coins?

> As stated on their website, they are 1.75" diameter, 3mm thick (a tad short of 1/4") and are made of anodized aluminum. I weighed one today and it is 9/10ths of an ounce.

how long before I get it?

> We've ordered in blocks of at least 25 (to get a small price break) and I'd say the average from online order to delivery has been about 10-12 days. (Gx and us are both USA addresses) Very happy with their service, product and delivery.

Should I include a paper description with the proxy?

> Yes, definitely yes. We go one step further and laminate our description/goal sheets. It really helps to have the description and goal travel with your item. Many times cachers have no idea what the owner's goals are before they pick it up. We've had numerous discoveries on our trackables where the cacher noted they were only discovering since they could NOT help the trackable reach it's goal.

(in a ziplock bag)?

> Yes. We also put our proxy coins in a geocoin flip-sleeve, pop a round hole in one corner, pop a hole in the laminated tag and attach them together with a super-small zip-tie. The assembled traveler them goes into a 3X5 or 4x6 zip-lock baggie.

A bit of work ? ... yes! Worth the effort ? Yes! We are both retired so it does allow us to spend extra time on the prep work, but we honestly feel it helps our coins, proxies, and bugs travel safer.

If the above is more work than you're inclined to do, don't have time for, etc ... just put the proxy in a flip-sleeve and put it in the baggie with a travel/description sheet. Extra flip-sleeves are readily available at some coin retail sites and after buying some coins for collectibles, you'll be overrun with extras when you start putting your collectible coins in binder sheets. :D

Hope this helps ... it's how WE roll .... :laughing: