Went on a hunt, saw a plane wreck

Up Up and Away

I starting to do this hunt last night with my wife and two-year-old daughter. As we started towards the first part, we heard a scraping/crashing sound, which ended up being an airplane landing without landing gear 50-75 yards away. Both guys in the plane were ok, but there was a lot of commotion with fire trucks and sheriff's cars, so we didn't get the hunt done.

Definitely the most interesting experience in my brief geocaching career.

A few years ago before geocaching came about I saw a plane crash while I was golfing. I heard a plane sputtering and looked up just in time to see a low-flying plane suddenly veer to the left, hit the ground, roll a few hundred yards to a stop when it hit some trees, and burst into flames. It was very surreal, and the sounds it made were quite different than you'd expect from movies. The crash occured maybe 1500-2000 feet from where we were standing. We called 911 on our cellphone (they had probably already beeen notified but it made us feel less helpless) and rescue crews were there almost immediately, but everyone on board (6 people) died. icon_frown.gif

A few years ago before geocaching came about I saw a plane crash while I was golfing. I heard a plane sputtering and looked up just in time to see a low-flying plane suddenly veer to the left, hit the ground, roll a few hundred yards to a stop when it hit some trees, and burst into flames. It was very surreal, and the sounds it made were quite different than you'd expect from movies. The crash occured maybe 1500-2000 feet from where we were standing. We called 911 on our cellphone (they had probably already beeen notified but it made us feel less helpless) and rescue crews were there almost immediately, but everyone on board (6 people) died. icon_frown.gif

as posted by Bassonpilot:

quote:
It will probably take about a week for the preliminary report to get posted on the NTSB website, and perhaps one year for the final report, but here's the link to the NTSB Monthly lists of accidents.

Having always been fascinated by airplanes and a lover of Flight Sims, I always wanted to read the preliminaries of flight crashes but always thought they were kept confidential. This site tells just about everything from witness accounts to the coords of the crash sites. Its unbeleivable how many planes crash that we never hear about. Looks like I have found something else to read for hours on end! Thanks!!

Wish I could fly, but Im too chicken. I consider myself a virtual pilot!

Kar of "Team Shibby!"

TEAM SHIBBY!!!!

Krs, Kar & Na

Still hasn't shown up on the NTSB site, but here is the local news brief about the incident. thanks for the link...I spent way too much time randomly reading about accidents last night. icon_smile.gif

PIERCE COUNTY: Small airplane makes belly landing after landing gear fails

Stefano Esposito; The News Tribune

A single-engine Cessna airplane made an emergency belly landing at Pierce County Airport Monday evening after its landing gear failed to extend.

There were no reports of injuries and the airplane sustained only minor damage, said Bruce Thun, the airport manager.

The incident occurred sometime between 7 and 7:30 p.m., Thun said.

The plane skidded about 450 feet along the runway before coming to a stop, Thun said. Two people were on board the airplane, which is owned by Clover Park Technical College. At the time, the plane was on a training flight, Thun said.

The Federal Aviation Administration was investigating.

Stefano Esposito, The News Tribune

Still hasn't shown up on the NTSB site, but here is the local news brief about the incident. thanks for the link...I spent way too much time randomly reading about accidents last night. icon_smile.gif

PIERCE COUNTY: Small airplane makes belly landing after landing gear fails

Stefano Esposito; The News Tribune

A single-engine Cessna airplane made an emergency belly landing at Pierce County Airport Monday evening after its landing gear failed to extend.

There were no reports of injuries and the airplane sustained only minor damage, said Bruce Thun, the airport manager.

The incident occurred sometime between 7 and 7:30 p.m., Thun said.

The plane skidded about 450 feet along the runway before coming to a stop, Thun said. Two people were on board the airplane, which is owned by Clover Park Technical College. At the time, the plane was on a training flight, Thun said.

The Federal Aviation Administration was investigating.

Stefano Esposito, The News Tribune

Several years ago I lived in rural Minnesota and had a plane crash into a lake adjacent to my house.

I found out about it when I bought the local paper and saw a story... so I went down to the lake. Sure enough, right by the boat ramp was the twisted wreckage.

The pilot had landed on the lake because of the weather, and when he tried to lift off, he saw he wasn't going to clear the trees, so he ditched it into the water.

Jamie

quote:
Originally posted by BassoonPilot:

They teach pilots that there are only two kinds of pilots of retractable gear planes: Those who have landed gear up, and those who will. icon_eek.gif

It will probably take about a week for the preliminary report to get posted on the NTSB website, and perhaps one year for the final report, but here's the link to the http://www.ntsb.gov/NTSB/month.asp of accidents.

The definition of a good landing is one where you can use the plane again. icon_biggrin.gif

"When you find it, its always in the last place you look."

quote:

They teach pilots that there are only two kinds of pilots of retractable gear planes: Those who have landed gear up, and those who will. icon_eek.gif

It will probably take about a week for the preliminary report to get posted on the NTSB website, and perhaps one year for the final report, but here's the link to the http://www.ntsb.gov/NTSB/month.asp of accidents.

The definition of a good landing is one where you can use the plane again. icon_biggrin.gif

"When you find it, its always in the last place you look."

quote:

They teach pilots that there are only two kinds of pilots of retractable gear planes: Those who have landed gear up, and those who will...

Actually, Pilots who follow their checklists will not make any one of the thousands of errors (including forgetting to put the gear down) that pilots who try to remember everything will.

There are thousands of pilots with thousands of flying hours who never have and never will land gear up. So far, I am one of them.

N 35° 5.079'

W 106° 23.389'