NJers enjoying Georgia

orange

I just thought I would share this adventure because it was great fun.

Jungle green and I a year ago discovered a place to hike and stay called the Hike Inn, http://www.hike-inn.com/. We had made reservations for last September but then September 11 occurred and we canceled the trip. Well we rebooked our flight for a year later and discovered geocaching in January. Before leaving NJ for our trip I decided to search for geocaches in the area of the Hike Inn and what did I find a brand new cache called Foote Steps, http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?ID=37793, that looked like it would be on the trail in.

We began our hike to the inn after checking in at the Amicola Falls visitor center and began counting down the miles to the inn and the cache. It was a beautiful trail with just the beginning hint of color in the trees. Our anticipation grew as the distance shrank because we knew no on had been to this cache yet when we left NJ and seeing how far a hike it was we thought there was a chance we would be getting to this Georgia cache first. Well we reached the search zone and then found the cache easily. Jungle green had found it and opened it because she has never been first to a cache. (Thanks to BassonPilot!) Well she is going to have to wait because one of the local Georgia cachers had been to it the day before us. Oh well it still made the trip extra special.

Also we were staying two nights at the Hike Inn and we saw it was only 1.5 miles to the High Shoals Old Coins Cache, http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?ID=6210. So on our second day we hiked to this cache because although we had hiked in the 5 miles to the inn and wanted to hike up to Springer Mountain we realized we did not have enough energy to hike 8.8 miles round trip. But we had great fun on the 4 miles round trip to the High Shoals cache.

Thanks Georgia for providing us with a great caching and hiking vacation. If you want to combine a little caching and hiking I highly reccomend it.

You picked a good time of year, and a wonderful area of the state to visit. If you get a chance for a return visit, post your intentions here and you'll get plenty of suggestions! (Most will be decent. icon_wink.gif

Morris County? That's just up the road from where I lived in the 60s - Somerville.

Say, is the diner in Flemington with the wonderful cheesecake still in operation?

3382_900.gif

You picked a good time of year, and a wonderful area of the state to visit. If you get a chance for a return visit, post your intentions here and you'll get plenty of suggestions! (Most will be decent. icon_wink.gif

Morris County? That's just up the road from where I lived in the 60s - Somerville.

Say, is the diner in Flemington with the wonderful cheesecake still in operation?

3382_900.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Da Rebel:

Which diner, Reb? Come on, this is Joisey! There's at least one diner per square mile here. Think it's a law or something. MOST have great cheesecake. (need proof, look at my waistline!)

Not sure about the one on the circle, especially since I think the circle is gone now. Have to ask around

Illegitimus non carborundum!

I think it was there the last time I visited the area in, oh, 1980 or so. Was fairly famous for it's cheesecake. Lots of celebrities used to visit it on the sly. The place had autographed pictures of celebrities on the walls.

Yep, it's Joisey! Diner on every corner, practically. Don't let me get started about Waffle House restaurants and Jawga; I know one interesection in Atlanta that has one on every corner!

Now, if you want to know where the good BBQ is, that I can help with.

3382_900.gif

We skipped the Waffle Houses but we did stop at a Sonic Burger on way back to Atlanta. Must say the large serving of onion rings that came with the Sonic Burger value meal were quite good.

I had never been to one before. Neat, having a car hop come out and serve you your fast food. Two value meals for less than $10 was a pretty good deal too.

quote:
Originally posted by orange:

We skipped the Waffle Houses but we did stop at a Sonic Burger on way back to Atlanta. Must say the large serving of onion rings that came with the Sonic Burger value meal were quite good.

I had never been to one before. Neat, having a car hop come out and serve you your fast food. Two value meals for less than $10 was a pretty good deal too.

There's tons of Sonics around here. In fact you know your small town is hitting the big time when Sonic moves to town. There are many small towns in Oklahoma that have only one fast food joint. And that is usually a sonic.

Of course the original Sonic #1 is located in Stillwater, OK so that might be why. icon_wink.gif

Nothings better than a cold Sonic Cherry Limeade after a hard day of cache finds. Bonus points for the one that can tell me why they call it Sonic.

beatnik