Social news feed

Henrikvd

At the front page of geocaching there is a "recent activity" of the most recent geocaches found in the world, but who does actually care about that?

I would really like to have a some kind of social news feed.

Such a feed could contain:

• Findings by friends
  • Findings by geocachers you follow (by now it's not possible to follow other geocachers)
  • Findings of your own geocaches
  • Findings of geocaches that you follow/have listed etc.
  • Notifications of newly published geocaches (in your defined area)
  • Notification when your friends publish new geocachers
  • Notification when your friends earn badges/belts/milestones/achivements/souvenirs etc.

Such a feed could make geocaching.com an even more active and social place to be.

No, no, no.

Please read the plethora of previous threads about incorporating Social Media into Geocaching.

There are plenty of other ways to do this including sharing your logs with existing resources.

There are MANY cachers who DO NOT want that part of the 'online experience' to extend into this working hobby website.

It's been hashed out many times before.

No, no, no.

Please read the plethora of previous threads about incorporating Social Media into Geocaching.

Nowhere in the OP did they mention social media. All they suggested is bringing several pieces of information from different parts of geocaching.com into one place. FWIW, I think it's an excellent idea.

I suppose it'd be nice for those who open to the homepage (...)

The feed I'm suggesting doesn't need to be on the feont page. Of course it could be on the profile page. Or on every page.

There are MANY cachers who DO NOT want that part of the 'online experience' to extend into this working hobby website.

What do you mean by that? When you're using geocahing.com you don't have use all its features.

Regarding sharing. I know it's possible, but I'm not interested in sharing my finds with all my Facebook friends or twitter followers. I dont think they're interested either.

No, no, no.

Nowhere in the OP did they mention social media. All they suggested is bringing several pieces of information from different parts of geocaching.com into one place. FWIW, I think it's an excellent idea.

I agree, I truly despise the way people seem unable to function without sharing every aspect of their lives on twitface but putting something more relevant on the home page makes a lot of sense. I'm really not interested in reading that Mr Cacher recently found a cache somewhere in the back end of nowhere in Arizona or some such, but the fact a friend found the cache round the corner from me might be of some interest.

At the front page of geocaching there is a "recent activity" of the most recent geocaches found in the world, but who does actually care about that?

I would really like to have a some kind of social news feed.

Such a feed could contain:

• Findings by friends
  • Findings by geocachers you follow (by now it's not possible to follow other geocachers)
  • Notification when your friends earn badges/belts/milestones/achivements/souvenirs etc.

Such a feed could make geocaching.com an even more active and social place to be.

• Findings by friends
    Yes, this should be enabled as a part of the 'Friends feature'.
    I should be able to get an email, not need to go to the site to see these.
    Not possible, this is stalking. :o
    I get an email for every one as it is. :huh:
    If it's on my watchlist, or my watched bookmark list, I get an email. I can watch any cache in the world.
    I get these already if I want them. :huh:
    I wouldn't really care about the badges/belts, or 'achievements', so much...and (since the site doesn't support these) I doubt if they could be included anyway.