Set up an account for a Brownie pack

janetmac12001

Hi there! Does the hall where they meet have internet access? If not, I'm not sure how you are going to show them how to log. I run a Brownie unit and I would probably concentrate on the "this is a special sat nav called a GPS, we can use it to find special boxes called geocaches that people have hidden" Then print off as many cache pages as you have Brownies - 24 girls trying to read hints etc off a GPS won't work. And include the coordinates as a waypoint on your GPS.

You could set up their own account if this is going to be a regular thing but they obviously need an email address for one or two finds I would say, not worth it. What ever you do have fun!

At the risk of sounding like a total "wet blanket" here, can I ask you to think very carefully before showing your group of Brownies where your very local geocaches are hidden?

However lovely and reliable your Brownies may be, if you show them where there are many interesting little hidden containers within walking distance of their homes the chances are that a few of them won't be able to resist showing these exciting hidden things to their friends and siblings... who may then show them to other friends and maybe older siblings... who might not be as lovely and reliable as your group of Brownies.

Once the word of hidden caches spreads around a local community of children then the chances of muggling increases: Twice we've had to re-locate our caches in a local country park when local children became aware of their locations. :(

MrsB

Good point Mrs Blorenge! When we did it with our Brownies we created our own multi where they had to collect number clues, we then worked out the co-ordinates and put them into the GPS which funnily enough turned out to be behind a tree right next to our meeting hall! Where there was a box, and inside it said "Well Done" They were very happy to have found "the treasure" :laughing:

I've volunteered to introduce my daughter's brownie pack to Geocaching. We're going to visit local caches i've already found and logged. Any ideas on how i can set up a group account on geocaching.com or show the brownies how to log caches online without duplicating finds on my account? Thanks

They can each create their own accounts. Or you can have 1 account with a shared password if they want to take turns logging.

I agree with the others, you may be putting your local caches at risk. Best thing if you want to show them caching take them a distance from where they live so they're not able to show all the local kids the caches afterwards.

Good point Mrs Blorenge! When we did it with our Brownies we created our own multi where they had to collect number clues, we then worked out the co-ordinates and put them into the GPS which funnily enough turned out to be behind a tree right next to our meeting hall! Where there was a box, and inside it said "Well Done" They were very happy to have found "the treasure" :laughing:

Good idea! I'll pass on that thought to the local boy scout leaders too. We have a local cache that's been muggled repeatedly so yes, once the kids know about it, they can't help but play with it.

As for accounts, I wouldn't build any. I would invite the parents to one of the meetings or send home a sheet for the parents, and if the girls are interested they should only sign up for an account with their parents' knowledge/supervision.

No need to build an account to log finds if you're using your own special hides.

I think it's great that you're taking this on! I mean what kid (big or little!) doesn't enjoy finding hidden treasures??? :)

Thankyou for such helpful and wise advise everyone. Hadn't thought at all about the muggling issue but agree we would be heartbroken if our attempt to encourage the young cachers backfired and we lost our caches. I like the idea of doing some custom caches just for the event. Its a local country park that we were planning to visit so plenty of room for some 'on the day' hides. Also agree with the idea of not using a formal geocache account for this intro session, you are right that we need the brownies to check with parents first. Ive found some interesting downloads which explain geocaching so can let the girls take one home after the event. Also looking into getting some official stickers or tattoos so they can have a souvenir each. Thankyou agsin for such excellent advise. Happy caching!

I show kids caches all the time...but if they wanted to go back, they'd have to convince their parents to drive waaay back up to the preserve and then hike 1/2 mile into the woods. Regardless, if they know it's a "secret" I don't think it's that different than the child of caching parents who's gone along to find caches in the neighborhood.

There's a brochure at the geocacher university site that's very good to send home: Link to PDF