Haunted Geocaching?

Guest Firefishe

The way that this thread got revived from the dead is kind of haunting, but haunted caches are among my favorites, along with cryptids and the aliens. There are a lot of caches placed near haunted sites. This one stood out:

Creepy Sandia Ranch is next to an abandoned asylum that some say is the most haunted place in Albuquerque, which is an interesting claim considering the amount of haunted places there. (As the Old Town Ghost Tour documents). Of course I ignored the advice on the cache page and explored the abandoned buildings. I am not sure if it was haunted, but it was interesting.

The Abandoned House near Benjamin (Utah) has some interesting stories - although not on the cache page. There are those who claim to have been inside it and found the usual type of old furniture, bullet holes in the living room, blood on the walls and chains in a basement. Not to mention the demonic presence. It looked like it was shut down tight when we were there, and although I would have liked to have explored it further, my wife was nervous enough watching as I walked around the grounds -- not so much because of the ghosts but if more earthly forces had come around I might have had some explaining to do in a hurry. So I cannot verify if what we had read about the place had any truth, but it seemed too much to believe.

More recently, we visited Afterdark Paranormal #1 near Sedona, that is said to be a paranormal hotspot for ghosts, ufos, orbs, skinwalkers, and more. It was a rough, rocky road to get there -- I would have come back after dark with our night vision goggles but there was no way that I was going to convince my wife that we should drive back on that road in the dark. A few days later, we met some people who suggested (separately) that it was just as good we did not return. There are some strange things that occur there that one should be prepared to handle. So we did not see anything out of the ordinary, except for the hikers we met there who had some good stories.

The only time I felt the "creeps" was with a cache that was not said to be haunted --- an old abandoned cabin where There's No Place Like Home. There was a single chair (reduced to its springs). Animal skulls and bones, with broken cups, had been arranged on exposed beams in the cabin. The last time I visited the area, the cabin roof had fallen in so that that there was not much left to see. But it was a fun visit, just before halloween, on an overcast fall day. You can make any place haunted if you try enough.

Edited by geodarts

We were vacationing in York, Maine and did some geocaching. We decided to do Cemetery Man in York. It is located in a beautiful old cemetery with the most magnificent old trees. We headed to the cache pretty directly, it was by a wall and an old grave with a Celtic cross. As we approached GZ we smelled an overpoweringly bad aroma. We both figured there was a dead animal on the other side of the stone wall. It was so bad we said let’s do this fast and get out of here! After several minutes searching for the cache and almost getting nauseous from the smell we signed the log, replaced the cache but then we realized the horrible smell was gone! No trace of it, we even walked around the site trying to locate the smell again! There was very little wind to speak of, and dead animals don’t just get up and leave… Very weird! 

• Upvote 1
  • Funny 1