Haunted Geocaching?

Guest Firefishe

Guest tdatn225

No Haunted experience yet, but if you are familier with the original film "Night of the Living Dead" there is a cache in the Livermore Cemetery in SW PA (about 35 miles east of Pittsburgh) anyway I digress, this cemetery is the one used in the film and the sight is supposed to be haunted, but its off limits ( posted no tresspassing etc... to keep movie fans from plundering and teens/others from vandalizing the site)...the cache is located away from the cemetery

Guest cottingham

quote:
Originally posted by casey4791:

I haven't been to this one yet, but from people have told me and from what the earlier posts have been saying, it's awfully spooky:

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.asp?ID=9783

There's the original: Blair Witch Cache

I keep saying I'm going to make a run up to this one in the dark the next time I'm in DC. Note that I always say "the next time", not "this time".... icon_smile.gif

Oddly enough, two of the three real caches we visited on a trip to northern California were located in cemetaries.

Guest Klemmer

Yep, Ive done the Blair Witch House (CA) with a friend. It's seriously spooky. I mean, I didn't see any ghosts or anything, but an abandoned house is always strange. Must be something in our DNA ... Abandoned nest / cave ???

I wouldn't even consider doing it at night. Nope, no way Jose!!

Klemmer

Guest Firefishe

quote:
Originally posted by Robereno:

After I placed this cache ( http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.asp?ID=11396 ) had some local people tell me that the area was haunted by an old prospector. Actually I think they?re just trying to scare people out of the area.

Heya, Rob'...sounds "spooky," indeed!

By any chance do the folks that told you the story have it written down somewhere? I love backcountry legends about haunted mines (even though there are not really any in Michigan that I'm aware of. I used to live in Colorado, though and there are a slew in that state.)

If they do, and it's convenient, perhaps you or they would be willing to send me an email. I'm at cool.gif

This sounds like One Mean Hike! Would love to get out that way one of these days. I'm relatively new to geocaching and would like some travel time. Oh well, later on down the road.

Warm regards,

[This message has been edited by Robereno (edited 15 February 2002).]

------------------

Firefishe,

<*[[[[><

Guest Firefishe

quote:
Originally posted by Klemmer:

Yep, Ive done the Blair Witch House (CA) with a friend. It's seriously spooky. I mean, I didn't see any ghosts or anything, but an abandoned house is always strange. Must be something in our DNA ... Abandoned nest / cave ???

I wouldn't even consider doing it at night. Nope, no way Jose!!

Klemmer

But Klemmer...Night is *when the action's the best*, especially for PHOTOGRAPHS! I've seen many a shot of balls of light near places that are reputed to be haunted. So get out and get 'em on film! icon_smile.gif Oh..yes...bring your *Buddy* AND your *GPS*...along with your Leica, Nikon, and Rolleiflex! icon_wink.gif

Warm regards,

Firefishe

P.S. Nighttime Geocaching...I think it's time for a new thread to be posted cool.gif

------------------

Firefishe,

<*[[[[><

Boo! Now that I have your attention (Ahem! icon_wink.gif ), I'm revamping and catching-up this thread!

This one's strictly for *truly haunted geocaching* events experienced by scared-out-of-their-wits, or utterly-intrigued-and-fascinated geocachers at things of the truly paranormal "haunted" variety.

Pictures are worth ten millions words, so please include them if they are available.

Things not haunted should be posted to my other thread: "Really Strange Anomalies in the Backcountry."

But, of course, this forum being open, you may post where you so desire...of course icon_wink.gif. Sometimes this type of thing does, indeed...(wait for it...) "cross over."

Eagerly awaiting your haunted geocaching stories.

Warmest regards,

Stephen Brown (Firefishe)

Flat_MiGeo_B88.gif

---------------------------

The year is 2003.

The name is S.A. Brown.

BrowNAV (Brown Navigation)

Hey Firefish....

I have just been noticing some of your other posts too.

Tell me.....

Did you ever listen to the Art Bell show???

Just wondering.....

Mike. Desert_Warrior (aka KD9KC).

El Paso, Texas.

Citizens of this land may own guns. Not to threaten their neighbors, but to ensure themselves of liberty and freedom.

They are not assault weapons anymore... they are HOMELAND DEFENSE WEAPONS!

A ghost story, but not geocaching related.

I wasn't sure if I should tell this story. At one job, I worked in a high security area. All of the doors were locked, and when opened they had a loud bezzing alarm. It's early evening, just me and a coworker. I turned around and in front of me was an old man. He turned walked away and disappeared. There was no way he could have been in there or gotten out of there unless he was a ghost. I found out later the facility was haunted by a well known and documented ghost.

Till a voice, as bad as Conscience, rang interminable changes

On one everlasting Whisper day and night repeated -- so:

"Something hidden. Go and find it. Go and look behind the Ranges --

"Something lost behind the Ranges. Lost and waiting for you. Go!"

Rudyard Kipling , The Explorer 1898

In Rochester NY several caches are near an area reported as haunted. "Ghost's Domain" was one of the first geocaches in the area, and is located by old ruins that a "lady in white" haunts...seeking the killers of her daughter, or some other mumbo-jumbo.

Grrrrrrrrr...

jackbear

quote:
Originally posted by Desert_Warrior:

Hey Firefish....

I have just been noticing some of your other posts too.

Tell me.....

Did you ever listen to the Art Bell show???

Just wondering.....

Mike. Desert_Warrior (aka KD9KC).

El Paso, Texas.

Citizens of this land may own guns. Not to threaten their neighbors, but to ensure themselves of liberty and freedom.

They are not assault weapons anymore... they are HOMELAND DEFENSE WEAPONS!

Some Art, yes, but not in about a year or more. I'm working to build on my own personal experiences other than listening to everything everyone else says.

Art's interesting, though. Some pretty weird stuff at times.

Perhaps I'll catch the program this week.

Warm regards,

Firefishe

Flat_MiGeo_B88.gif

The year is 2003.

The name is S.A. Brown.

Well, I told my sister that if I started reading the forums, I'd start posting too. This one, I just can't resist. icon_smile.gif

My other hobby is ghost hunting. Last night, I placed a cache in one of our favorite haunted spots. Yep, in a cemetery. Nordhoff Cemetery in Ojai, CA is haunted. There are cold spots, shadows, and strange mist forms. Our ghost hunting group is there often. So far, only a few pictures with "orbs", and the obligatory spooky feelings. Maybe, soe of the people out finding this cache will have a story or two to tell. icon_smile.gif

Never invoke anything bigger than your head.

I recently hid a cache in a location reputed to be haunted by the locals. It is this tree that a girl is buried under out in the country and her ghost hangs out there. There are certain steps one takes then the keys are gone. I am hoping for more input from people in my area who know more about it.

If you are near the Indiana-Ohio boarder near antwerp here is the location http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?ID=71250

Thanks, the_zymurgist, for an excellent cache listing, as well as a fresh addition to this thread! I appreciate it!

Too bad about the locals "hating" this dead girl. What could she have done to garner such thoughts? Is it because of the pranks with keys? Oh, do the keys ever reappear? I mean, people have to get back into their vehicles to drive back home and stuff, and that was left out. I'd be intrigued to know.

Geocachers doing this cache, why not stop and take a few moments of silence for this person. Couldn't hurt.

Here's to Happy Haunting and Geoaching. :-)

...Caching In on the Journey

{--Firefishe--}

Flat_MiGeo_B88.gif

The year is 2003.

The name is S.A. Brown.

I was a little spooked on this one:

Germania Mania

OK, so maybe it was just that I was in an obscure part of South Jersey in a cemetery in the dark. My friend waited for me in the car with the headlights on the appropriate marker while I read the info I needed to log the virtual. I wandered around near the car looking at all the markers and the glowing lights on some of the graves, and I KNOW I saw the car roll backwards (on level ground, engine off) out of the corner of my eye. It happened twice. I was sober and about as mentally fit as I'm able to get. Very, very spooky.

-shilfiell

"I'm too old to be doing this" - me to nobody, from too high up in a pine tree.

This wasn't while caching, but it still kind of spooky.

About a year ago I started going to graveyards, both during the day (by myself) and at night (with others). One time, during a day excursion that I had 4 other people with me, we went to the old War graves after hearing reports that there were 2 teenagers burried there that had died the night before they were to be married.

We spent about an hour looking at the grave markers, with my car in plain view. When we got back in the car, it was filled with smoke (smelled like cigar smoke) and there was a strong stench of clogne and brandy. I found this weird. When I got home, I did some research and found out that one of the men buerried there was rarely seen without a brandy and a cigar, and wore a strong smelling clogne all the time. I don't remember the name now, but I went back the next day and found that this mans grave was right next to where I had the car parked.

tj.jpg

"Make it idiot proof, and someone will make a better idiot"

So, my friends and I (Brown Wave) had a spooky experience near The Bunny Man's Bridge (http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?ID=39424). It's supposedly haunted by the Bunny Man and was featured on Fox's Scariest Places... well, the site can give you more info on the story.

Basically, the sign that the Bunny Man is nearby is the presence of bones, specifically those of small animals such as rabbits. So, naturally we got freaked out when 200 feet away from the cache, along this railroad track we were walking on, we see a small jawbone and longer, femur-ish bone. We laugh a little, take pictures, and keep walking a little freaked out. 164 feet away from the cache we see a carcass. It's got a thick, long spinal column, massive grey feathers, and redness everywhere. We can't identify it. We're freaked. Brian and I are clutching rusted railroad spikes for protection. We do exactly what you're not supposed to do in the horror movie-- stand RIGHT BY the carcass for five minutes debating what to do-- but then move on and find the cache.

Okay, so not exactly a ghost story, but the adrenaline was pumping. And the place is haunted, and in a lovely section of Virginia. Oh, and as we were leaving, this car pulls up and three guys wearing black Blair Witch t-shirts get out and start photographing the bridge.

Okay, well this is probably only half relevant to the thread, so you've been warned. icon_wink.gif It has nothing to do with geocaching, but has to do with spirits/ghosts..

The picture that I am using as my avatar is a picture of me in Cemetery number one in New Orleans at the tomb of Marie Lavaue... it is practiacally tradition to draw three x's on her tomb, make a small offering to her (incense, rum, flowers, etc.) and ask a boon of her... which I am in the middle of doing in the picture. I don't know how well this picture will come through, but if you look just in front of my face you will see what appears *to me* to be an apparition... practically under my nose! The image is faint, but if you look carefully you will see what I am talking about. I believe that I can clearly see a head of what appears to be a ?disincarnate? person.... Complete with facial features... it appears to be a person of color with high cheek bones and a rather broad face with short knobby hair. That's the best description I can give... see if you can see it too... and you be the judge of what it is. Ghost? Bad film? Or over worked imagination?

Check out the pic here: http://hometown.aol.com/eekoeek/myhomepage/profile.html

The Jaded Jeweler

Delia: as an amature paranormal investigator, let me first say that the legend you speak of was actually a tradition started by the womans family just after she died as an offering to God to take her into heaven. Over the years, people have missinterpreted this tradition by the family as simply random people praying to God. In fact, that IS what a lot of people do at this location, the origins of the legend are what I have posted above.

As for the ghost in your pic, I see no evidence of anything else in the picture other than some tombstones, yourself, and some trees.

tj.jpg

"Make it idiot proof, and someone will make a better idiot"

TJWilson writes:

as an amature paranormal investigator, let me first say that the legend you speak of was actually a tradition started by the womans family just after she died as an offering to God to take her into heaven... As for the ghost in your pic, I see no evidence of anything else in the picture other than some tombstones, yourself, and some trees.

Delia Writes:

Actually, Marie Lavaue is a renowned Vodoun Priestess. If you are familiar with the traditions and customs of this culture, then you know that there is almost always some family connection as much of what they do is ancestoral based. Some people refer to what they do as 'ancestral worship'... but it's not that so much really. Vodounist believe that if they provide for their ancestors who have passed into the spirit world in the form of offerings from the physical world (usually the individuals favored foods, rum, toys or objects which they were fond of and even sometimes jewelry and perfumes, etc.) then their ancestors will work for them in the spirit world to help them bring about that which they desire in the physical world (much as they do for the Lwa). It's an 'I'll scratch your back and you scratch mine' kind of philosophy. This is the basis of this tradition. So while it's true that Marie's family members no doubt engaged in this practice, her notoriety as a Mambo has drawn Vodounist from all of the world to leave offerings when they are in the NOLA area. This practice has extended to those outside of her biological family, and outside of her 'house' of followers ( in these trads 'house' is a term used to describe what we might call a congregation) to those who invest belief in what you might call 'southern hoodoo' but are not exactly Vodounist. I fall into the later category... I am NOT a Vodounist but do believe there is more to the world than meets they physical eye and I enjoy learning about various cultures in my spare time. In addition, I am what some might call superstitious by nature. icon_wink.gif

Back to the picture. I was concerned that some of you might not be able to see what I was talking about in the scan... but there is *something* there that is not a part of the scenery behind me. It's like one of those pictures where you have to look at it just right, and then it all comes into focus. At first, it might appear to be a stain or some sort on the back wall behind me, but you will have to look for the 'form' within it. If you can see it (it is a little fuzzy in the picture... not the best scanner) you should note that it is not located on just one wall... it spans across the side of one tomb, and then the back wall behind that, remaining consistent through the shadows cast by the sun... hence, my personal conclusion that it wasn't just some really interesting stain on the concrete. If you pay close attention to the detail, you will see what appears to be high cheek bones, eye sockets, a nose, a strong jaw line and a mouth that seems slightly pulled up at the corners as if offering a soft smile. The ?apparition? ends at the base of the neck... there is no body to be seen.

To try to help you locate what I am talking about, look directly in front on my face... careful not to look *through* it... you really do have to adjust your eyes... kind of pulling your vision back almost as if you're looking at a place just before your vision reaches the picture. Not sure if you know what I mean by that, but it's the best help I can offer. I've shown this picture to many people over the years and all but one was able to see what I was talking about... most people found it 'freaky'.

Good luck seeing it if you choose to look again... but remember, always judge for yourself. icon_wink.gif

The Jaded Jeweler

Hey,

I just realized that the quality of the ?apparition? in the pic on TJ's server has broken down the clarity of the image just a little... so it might be best if others wish to view it to check out the pic he posted to find the space referenced where you should look and then refer back to my original picture for image clarity at: http://hometown.aol.com/eekoeek/myhomepage/profile.html

The Jaded Jeweler

TJwrites:

I took a look, It might just be my eyes, but the pic on my server looks sharper to me. It seems like the one at the link you posted is a little bit more blurry.

Delia writes:

Hmmm... well it could have something to do with my prehistoric computer? I dunno. I don't see any difference in the overall photo... just the clarity of the apparition. Either way, creating the frame was still helpful to locating it. icon_wink.gif Even if they have to view both pics to get a good look at it.

The Jaded Jeweler

icon_smile.gifHere is a link to a geocache located south of Grayling, Michigan. It is a nice area, secluded, and reputed by some to be haunted.

Roads are also known to "move around" during the nighttime hours.

If you do this cache, RESPECT THE GRAVESTONES AND DO NOT REMOVE THEM!

This has been a problem over the years, and vandalism has occurred here. Too bad, too, for some of the markers are pre 1850! Some are completely weathered and worn off.

Have Fun! icon_cool.gif

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=60caea25-160b-43e4-ba5d-828aed22e48b

{--Firefishe--}

...Caching In on the Journey

Flat_MiGeo_B88.gif

The year is 2003.

The name is S.A. Brown.

Here are links to some caches that are near what is reputed to be the most haunted site in the Chicago area.

Active: http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=d68f3634-480a-4855-bbdc-59192e9e0b99

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=344610f7-9608-4c0e-9e3b-dc3db2c69643

Deactive:

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=766704ce-0902-4056-9bdd-707046d2f61b

Heres a link to a website about the area.

http://www.bachelorsgrove.com/

Enjoy!

Remember, wherever you go- there you are!