Road trip to Scotland UK

A few months ago I wanted to plan a short city break but couldn't decide where to go (wanting do some caching) so I posted a topic on here. You were very lovely and came up with some great suggestions one of which was Budapest. I hadn't thought about that so I've looked into it and booked it for next month. Thank you, I can't wait!

It's our wedding anniversary in September and we always take a couple of weeks off work so I'm thinking about where to go. Apart from a day trip on the train with school aged 9 to Edinburgh, I've never been to Scotland. I've just got a new car (new to me!) which is just lovely for cruising along in, I love it. So I'm thinking that a road trip to Scotland, taking in lots of scenery for hubby to photograph, pretty little towns and villages, and caches for us to find would be lovely. Neither of us are into camping so we'd stay at hotels or B&Bs. It would be nice to include a mix of drive-bys and trails of up to about five miles.

The only place I'd quite like to stop by is Tignabruich. It's the name of my parents house (named before they moved in) so it would be nice to take some photos for them. But not essential! We could actually take my parents with us - they are not into geocaching at all but if we had a route with pretty towns for them to meander in while we went off caching that would be good.

I don't know Scotland at all but I would really love to go! Please could you recommend routes and / or places to visit? Many thanks in advance :-)

I'd probably recommend taking the A82 west coast road. It Runs from Glasgow all the way up to Inverness.

A good route would be A82 from glasgow up the side of loch lomond, detour on A818 to Helensburgh, then back onto the A82, stop at Luss, Tarbet, Crainlarich, The Green Welly, then onto A85 to Oban via Connel Bridge, Isle of Mull is worth visiting while you're there then take A828 north to rejoin A82 jus west of Glencoe and Ballachulish, then onwards to Fort Willam & Fort Augustus, then Drumnadrochit, Inverness, then Dingwall, then A835 to Ullapool.

Plenty of caching to be done along the way, and plenty of wee scenic places to visit too.

If you really want to visit Tignabruich, at Tarbet turn left and take A83, you can visit Arrochar, along the way and Inverary, Lochgilphead then up that road to Oban. It's a LONG diversion though, just for a quick visit.

HTH

The Cowal Peninsula (where Tighnabruaich is), is a beautiful part of the world, and September's a great time to go. There have though been quite a number of problems with landslips on the "Rest and be Thankful" road (A82) - at least 5 in the last few years. Bear in mind therefore that another way over is to drive along the M8 towards Gourock (it ceases being Motorway around Langbank, but just follow the signs) and take a ferry there to Hunter's Quay near Dunoon. You can then approach via the east side of the Cowal Peninsula, although be warned that there are lots of single-track roads which give you plenty of time to slow down and admire the scenery.

You could spend all your time just caching on the Peninsula, although to find some excellent caches, it would be worth driving to Colintraive and over to Bute for the day. Bute was the late Billy Twigger's best hunting ground, and his caches are good enough for Groundspeak to have specially kept live (and adopted by others) after his untimely death.

Have a great time.

:)