Like Button

overTHEhill

I need a like button to 'like' comments on my caches and travelbugs. Also would like an indented 'discussion' between the logs for general comments and disscussions on those items only for folks who have discovered them... It would be great to have conversations here with an icon marking the logs and no icon for conversation!

This isn't faceplant - no "like" buttons please...

If you like comments, there's nothing stopping you from sending an email through the system.

On caches, you stand a chance of having your hide archived if the cache page turns into a chat room and I'd like it to remain that way, with no changes.

You can already police inappropriate comments by deleting them.

This isn't faceplant - no "like" buttons please...

If you like comments, there's nothing stopping you from sending an email through the system.

On caches, you stand a chance of having your hide archived if the cache page turns into a chat room and I'd like it to remain that way, with no changes.

You can already police inappropriate comments by deleting them.

^THIS^

The logs section is supposed to be about the experience of finding the cache.

I appreciate a witty or clever log as much as anyone, but I have never felt the need to commend them on the cache page.

If you like, you can certainly start a 'clever log' thread here in the forums so we can discuss them...this is one good use of the forums, and has been done before.

The naysayers aside, I think this is a great idea. It encourages a great social networking between geocachers, which in turn, fosters a solid community and increased cooperation in a region of cachers. If we built in the option to hide all discussion notes, or even required a click to see discussion notes for any log, then the cache pages would not get cluttered, and those who don't wish to see the notes don't have to.

The naysayers aside, I think this is a great idea. It encourages a great social networking between geocachers, which in turn, fosters a solid community and increased cooperation in a region of cachers. If we built in the option to hide all discussion notes, or even required a click to see discussion notes for any log, then the cache pages would not get cluttered, and those who don't wish to see the notes don't have to.

I'd rather keep it the way it is.

Anyone can send a note to a cacher who posts something they particularly like through the system, can pass on their email address at the same time, and can thereby initiate a discussion. It also means that people will send a comment only if they are truly inspired, rather than endlessly clicking the Like button on all sorts of trivial junk.

Personally I'm heartily sick of endless invitations to "like" things on twitface. I want to see Groundspeak concentrate on making the game of geocaching more fun rather than providing endless drivel online that's got nothing to do with getting out and finding boxes.

I could see too many people asking for hints, especially on harder puzzle caches. I would neither want a notification every time someone commented on a log, nor want to have to monitor my cache pages to stop those kinds of conversations from happening.

The idea of commenting on a log by the CO isn't a bad one--maybe if only the CO could do so...but then I'd always have to make the awkward decision of whether to thank every person who posts more than "TFTC" or what...

Personally I'm heartily sick of endless invitations to "like" things on twitface. I want to see Groundspeak concentrate on making the game of geocaching more fun rather than providing endless drivel online that's got nothing to do with getting out and finding boxes.

+1

But please, don't hold back.

Tell us how you really feel.

B)

I could see too many people asking for hints, especially on harder puzzle caches. I would neither want a notification every time someone commented on a log, nor want to have to monitor my cache pages to stop those kinds of conversations from happening.

The idea of commenting on a log by the CO isn't a bad one--maybe if only the CO could do so...but then I'd always have to make the awkward decision of whether to thank every person who posts more than "TFTC" or what...

That's the beauty of sending them a message through the site rather than replying on the cache page, it's a private message and nobody else needs to know you sent it.

I got just such a message from a cache owner a while back, the cache was a difficult one to get to and my log was a "Write Note" detailing how I'd sighted the cache, worked out what I needed to do to get at it, and then bravely decided not to attempt it as I didn't want to turn my theoretical understanding of the adverse effects of gravity in such a situation into practical experience. The CO basically thanked me for the chuckle he had when he read my note.

I think the decision whether to thank people or not is a large part of the reason why I wouldn't want to see this kind of thing implemented. When I write a log against a cache I don't do it to initiate a discussion, just to record my adventure (word used as loosely as required for each given cache) and to claim the smiley. If a CO or someone else wants to make a comment on my cache they can do so through the site - if such a comment initiates a discussion and lifelong friendship that's great, if it initiates a "thanks for the note, glad I made you smile" and nothing more than that's also great. If someone wants to call me a (expletive) for posting NA on my log then I'll tell my spam filter to ignore any future mails from them and forward their musings to Groundspeak.

If the cache page itself becomes a public forum for private discussions it will just clutter it up for everyone, and having endless links on cache pages to "join in the discussion" just shifts the focus away from going outside and doing something fun to talking about it online.

+1

But please, don't hold back.

Tell us how you really feel.

B)

Sorry, sometimes I can be a bit ambiguous about my thoughts.

I'm not hugely keen on social networking in general. Apologies again if that was unclear first time around :)