hiding first cache

Your GPS should have a function for waypoint averaging. You definitely don't want to base your coordinates on a single reading. The averaging function will take continuous readings over a period of time and calculate the average to give you a more accurate reading

I use an Oregon 550 but I'm sure the 62s function is similar. Here's what I do:

- Go to your cache location and select the averaging function. When the unit begins averaging, put it down and walk away (to avoid blocking the GPS signal with your body). Let the unit sit there for at least a couple of minutes til it settles down, then save that reading.

--Come back another time, like a couple of hours later or maybe the next day, select the waypoint you saved previously, and average another reading to that same waypoint like you did previously. The more times you do this the more accurate your coordinates will be. At least two or three visits though.

-Once you have what you think are accurate coordinates, set that waypoint as your target and navigate back to it, as though you are navigating to a cache. If it brings you within about 10 feet or less of the spot, you should be good.

Good luck!

Best advice I have is to let the unit sit with the best view of the sky you can over the cache. Let it set and settle for a good 10 minutes before averaging or taking a single reading. Check the estimated accuracy and if it is quite high, consider a 2nd trip to check your cords on a different day and time.

Find out where south is and aim you gps that way, the GPS satellites have an inclination of 55 degrees so in the most of the UK go from directly overhead to the south in their orbit. Facing north with your body between the receiver and satellites is not going to produce as good a result.

One more tip...go ahead and start your cache page using the coordinates you have now...just don't enable it yet. This will "reserve" that spot so no one comes along and hides another cache nearby while you're refining your coordinates. Then once you have your final numbers you can edit the coordinates and submit it for review.

One more tip...go ahead and start your cache page using the coordinates you have now...just don't enable it yet. This will "reserve" that spot so no one comes along and hides another cache nearby while you're refining your coordinates. Then once you have your final numbers you can edit the coordinates and submit it for review.

Thanks I was wondering if I could do that it's quite exciting the thought of hiding your own for others to find

Find out where south is and aim you gps that way, the GPS satellites have an inclination of 55 degrees so in the most of the UK go from directly overhead to the south in their orbit. Facing north with your body between the receiver and satellites is not going to produce as good a result.

Err... the satellites orbit the Earth in all directions, not just in the south. The satellite display on the GPS will show you the current positions. You may be thinking of the geostationary WAAS/EGNOS satellites that appear in the UK in the south at an altitude above the horizon of about 25 degrees or so. More info on my resource site here.

Chris

Graculus

Volunteer UK Reviewer for geocaching.com

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

UK Geocaching Wiki

Geocaching.com Help Center

UK Geocaching Information & Resources website

I support the above, and use averaging for my caches, but only for a single visit over 2-3 minutes (Unless I have excellent signal and have been stopped for 30 seconds. I know my GPS then gives me a fix that isn't going to change much). I don't doubt you get a more accurate reading on multiple visits, but my logic is:

The cacher will not be averaging their location over several days so you're wasting your time.

You can have the most accurate coords possible, but in areas of bad reception (and boy, don't we have some of those in Devon!) if signal is bad the coords will only ever get them into the approximate area no matter how accurate they are. On remote or a long series, you want to save your energy and enthusiasm for the maint visits, imo - not be sick of the route before you even publish.

So my advice would be: Have clear and useful clues. Don't try to be too clever with them, unless it's intended to be difficult to find.

Use good quality containers. If the log is paper, use a decent size and thick plastic bag inside the container that'll withstand some use. Consider waterproof paper, especially in micros where the cacher has to roll the log up (with wet fingers, it doesn't take long for the log to mushify). These are points more for you than the cacher to minimise maint.

(Note: Not everyone will agree with me. But that's fine, we all do things a little differently. :) )

Edited by dartymoor

The cacher will not be averaging their location over several days so you're wasting your time.

It's not a waste of time. The total error the cacher will see is the vector sum of their error and yours, so if you can minimise your error you will be reducing the average error the cacher will see, whether they average or not.

Rgds, Andy