Oregon 550T won't stay in Mass Storage state

Beege49

Can't find this addressed anywhere in forum: When I attached my Oregon 550T (Software version 6.10) to my computer, it initially will go to Mass Storage (automatically with setting on Garmin Serial, or after I choose it, with setting on Garmin Spanner). However, it doesn't show up on my computer as being an attached device, and after a minute or so, proceeds to open to the main menu. If I then detach it from the computer, let it sit for a few seconds, then reattach and do all the same things, it will attach to the computer as mass storage. Why am I having to do this twice? Doesn't seem to matter if I "eject" it or not when I detach, or if it's turned on or off when I attach it. My friend's Oregon doesn't do this, and he can't figure out why mine does, either. Any help appreciated.

Not sure if this is related, but with my 550t with firmware version 6.20, I sometimes see the opposite problem. This only happens in my car, when the unit is being powered by a Garmin Vehicle Power Adapter (which is pretty much a standard cigarette lighter adapter). At random intervals, the unit will suddenly report that it has detected a USB connection, and asks if I want it to go into Mass Storage Mode. I tell it no, of course; haven't yet gotten up the gumption to find out what it would do if I said yes. :blink:

--Larry

Are you going through a USB hub or directly into a USB port of your computer's chassis? I have seen this happen on my laptop when going through a USB hub that apparently does not have sufficient or consistent power.

Directly into a USB port on my laptop.

I don't know whether this helps any, but I've just had some flakey behaviour with my Oregon 300 when using the USB port. It turned out to be a dirty connection in the Oregon socket, cleaned it up and no more problems.

I'd think that might be it, but the second time I put it in, there is never any problem, it will stay in the mass storage indefinitely then. Weirdness....

Had exactly the same issue with my 450 recently. The cable that I normally use is permanently plugged into the back of my PC, then one day started playing up as you describe. Started of as an intermittent problem but eventually acted as you describe.

Took my spare cable, plugged it into one of the ports on the front of the computer, problem gone.

I don't know whether this helps any, but I've just had some flakey behaviour with my Oregon 300 when using the USB port. It turned out to be a dirty connection in the Oregon socket, cleaned it up and no more problems.

How did you clean yours? I'm having the same issues with my Oregon 600 and would prefer not to make a trip to REI to replace it (though I'm prepared to do that if I can't fix it myself).

Well I gave cleaning the USB port on my Oregon 600 a try with no luck. Cleaned it with 91% isopropyl alcohol and some compressed air. Still gives me the error message "The accessory has been connected to the wrong acapter" and continues to boot as if just connected to a power supply. Unless any of you have any other suggestions, I'm just going to call it a broken USB port and have the unit replaced.