Asking cache placement permission from businesses

combinatorics

For LPC and other urban cache types, how do you ask permission from a business for placement? I've successfully asked permission from a couple, but from others I've received a "no". From most I simply get no reply at all after calling or emailing. Has the community found a "best practice" to follow when asking permission that yields successful results? Do you find it more successful when you simply show up with the cache 100% ready to go and just walk in and ask a store manager? Is asking a store manager enough permission when many stores / restaurants / etc don't actually own the land they are on but rather lease it from a development company?

Any advice on getting permission for cache placements would be greatly appreciated.

I've only placed at a business once. It was owner operated.

I walked in, explained a bit about caching and what I wanted to do, and got the okay. I placed right then, so they could see it.

Small businesses are probably easiest to talk to and most apt to say yes.

As you've sai, even at an owner operated small business it's certainly possible that the business owner is renting the space.

My parents owned a small strip mall in Melbourne FL. There was a cache for a while in the parking lot, the listing said it had permission. This permission has to have been from one of the store renters, as neither the management company nor my parents were asked about the cache. That said, my parents were fine with it (road widening took it out).