Guidelines for hiding caches, the one-mile rule

jahshuwah

I recently hid my first cache. Upon review, it was determined that it was too close to another cache and that I would need to move it before it could be published.

So, tonight I'm looking over the map in my area and there are caches literally everywhere.....it's going to be a challenge to find a spot that is at least 1 mile away from any pre-existing caches.

How did all of the caches in my area get published if they're obviously within a mile of countless other caches? Did they get grandfathered in or something?

To clarify, here is a quote from the OP's reviewer, who logged on the OP's cache listing in relevant part:

I cannot publish this cache, unfortunately, as it is too near an existing cache,

425 feet from [cache name] by [cache owner]([GC Code])

This violates the cache saturation portion of the listing guidelines (visit link)

which states that caches must be .1 miles (528 feet minimum) from other caches.

(Emphasis added.)

To clarify, here is a quote from the OP's reviewer, who logged on the OP's cache listing in relevant part:

I cannot publish this cache, unfortunately, as it is too near an existing cache,

425 feet from [cache name] by [cache owner]([GC Code])

This violates the cache saturation portion of the listing guidelines (visit link)

which states that caches must be .1 miles (528 feet minimum) from other caches.

(Emphasis added.)

yep. i read it wrong.

Is why we tell people to read the guidelines at least three times:

Once to see what they say;

Twice to see what you missed;

Thrice to understand what you read the first two times.

Some think we are bein' smart*somethings* for sayin' that, but really... we mean it.

It is a truism outside of geocaching, too. Always has been. :)

Sidenote: A goodly number of cachers would like to see the minimum distance extended, anyway. :o

In Canada we have to have them further than .1 miles (528 feet).

We have to have them at 161 meters apart, whereas 528 feet is 160.93 meters.

So in Canada the maximum cache density is about one-tenth of one percent less. The US is so crowded, isn't it ?! :laughing:

Nah! It's just that most of us never read the smaller bits on the measuring tape... just the whole metre value. :rolleyes:

People can't even bother with pennies these days, so the Government recently got rid of them... just raised prices to suit... mostly by rounding upwards of course. Same logic.

Doug 7rxc

I recently hid my first cache. Upon review, it was determined that it was too close to another cache and that I would need to move it before it could be published.

So, tonight I'm looking over the map in my area and there are caches literally everywhere.....it's going to be a challenge to find a spot that is at least 1 mile away from any pre-existing caches.

How did all of the caches in my area get published if they're obviously within a mile of countless other caches? Did they get grandfathered in or something?

Jahshuwah, you started geocaching 20 days ago. Please consider waiting 2 months before posting a cache. The first 2 months are the honeymoon phase. You can spend it finding a variety of caches (perhaps a few that have a lot of Favorite Votes), reading the guidelines, preparing your hide and cache page. In 2 months if you still enjoy geocaching and can see it as a long term hobby, and your ready for long-term cache ownership responsibility, post your cache.

Here's some good advice about hiding caches from NeverSummer:

Hide them if you know that you can, and will maintain them. Use high-quality, highly waterproof or water-resistant containers. Be sure to get good coordinates for them by using a GPS, averaging some readings, and "re-hunting" it to be sure that your GPS takes you back to where it should. Use D/T accurately to describe the hide. Use the description to give context. Use a hint to really narrow down a search and decrease the chances of damage to surroundings or of attracting unwanted attention. And be prepared to take some criticism from other cachers...and actually take that criticism as helpful to make your caches better--not as an attack on your person.

Edited by l0n3 r

l0n3 r:

Happy to gain from your experience, thanks. Makes good sense to me.

My 11-year old daughter hid her first cache the same weekend, nearby location, and it was also in too close of proximity to another cache. So, that one has to be hidden again as well. I've gone and collected both caches and we will go off and hide them again soon. We have talked and we're both actually happy to have a second chance to hide them. The first go-around I think we rushed things a bit as far as the location...it just wasn't horribly creative and I'd like to improve on that. The caches themselves are awesome, I think. Water-proof, including a pen and a mini spiral notebook, a laminated copy of the "Congratulations, you found me" letter, and some little trinkets of course.

I'm glad it's only 1/10 of a mile instead of a whole mile. My area is saturated.

You've got a lot caches in your area. I would just suggest relaxing and enjoying finding caches for now. One tip I have is to focus on finding the multis and puzzles in an area FIRST and do a good job of recording the coordinates. You can enter them in the personal cache notes and/or GSAK or simply by manually entering on the your GPS. TRaditionals are easy enough to work around, but it's the multis and puzzles that will give you nasty proximity surprises if you haven't done them. :huh:

Some good advice here, thanks. I became a member back in 2005, then my GPS quit on me, and I quit looking. Then a few weeks ago, my daughter got me re-interested, I bought a new etrex30, got back on-line, and now am anxious to get searching. Still a "Rookie" and have a lot to learn, and will do so, with my daughter, who signed up today. My old GPS is a Garmin Map76CS Plus. I'd like to get it working again, but am having problems with the Garmin site for repairs.... If any of you have suggestions, I'd like to see them. Problem with the 76 was, I left it locked up in my truck, in the summer, with windows closed. It got super hot inside, and the unit has never worked since.

ibmercy