help with buying a new GPS

bowelder

When i got started Geocaching i used my wifes automobile GPS with pretty good success. Now I want to upgrade and get a GPS for Geocaching as well as other outdoor adventure ie. backpacking, hiking, exploring. Would like to have one that tracks as we walk.The kids love watching to see the numbers change. Im also interested in one that i can upload caches into. I tried using the current buying guide thread but it was posted in 2009, kinda outdated for technology. I would love for you guys to post your model and what features you enjoy about them. then i can research from your posts for a starting point.

thanks

bowelder

The "current" crop of Garmin, Delorme, Magellan are all darn good, with the possible exception of the lower-end units.

Don't get me wrong, they work well also, but why not have icing on your cake too, as long as you are gonna spend the money.

What usually happens: Somebody, thinking only cheap, buys the cheapest they can. Result? They either drop geocaching altogether or sooner rather than later spend the money to upgrade anyway. Save the money and skip that first (bothersome) step.

The more, let's say expensive models, have the bells and whistles that everyone expects. Plus they have added memory capabilities that lower-end units usually do not have -- this helps when you want to add good mapping (most come with simple base mapping, a sorry excuse for mapping).

Garmin is most popular -- with (it seems) a zillion models. But then Garmin spends lotsa bucks on advertising, too.

Delorme (sorry to say) is completely sold out of the better/best models. Apparently they hadn't anticipated the demand. Too, rumor has it that they are concentrating on a new release. You almost never see a Delorme advertisement.

Magellan has made relatively recent leaps and bounds. Supposedly their support long ago was quite lacking. You hear little complaint about it now (actually, I hear more about Garmin). Many use and love their Magellan units. They advertise very little, also.

Your choices include: touch screen, button-operation, 3-axis compass, screen size, memory capabilities, weight, float/not floatable, some share info unit-to-unit. You probably should limit yourself to a paperless unit, anything else is either obsolete or obsolescent.

The choices therein are yours, nobody else can make those decisions for you.

Check each make at their website, a simple Google search on their name will bring it up. Be sure to key up the unit specs for each you consider.

What are needed options for going totally paperless. Do you use a service like a cell phone and pay for service or do you load the waypoints and info for the caches via USB?

Any explanation would be helpfull to me. I don't have any paperless experience at all.

All input welcome

What are needed options for going totally paperless. Do you use a service like a cell phone and pay for service or do you load the waypoints and info for the caches via USB?

Any explanation would be helpfull to me. I don't have any paperless experience at all.

All input welcome

Paperless = hooking unit to computer, downloading all info (mostly the entire cache page as you see it on the computer) into the GPSr.

While caching, marking the Find (or DNF, Note) in the unit. Returning home, hook up to the computer again and upload those Field Notes directly to geocaching.com. You then edit the Field Notes into full-blown logs and [submit] or simply [submit] as is.

-- You have eliminated all use of paper and the tedious note-taking in the wind, blazing sun, snow or rain, etc.; as well as a mess and jumbled pile of notes.

Just like a an automotive unit, there is no use of cell service. You do need to connect with your computer, but have eliminated printed sheets and note writing.

I bought my Oregon 550T factory refurbished. It had the full manufacturers warranty, was boxed with all the accessories, film on the screen, etc. It was just like new, and you would not be able to tell it from a new one except the box was plain white. The new units were selling (online prices) for about $75 more than I paid. I would not hesitate to buy another refurb.