I was thinking about a geocaching class, but I need help.

lilbeardy

I've taught kids about geocaching several times, without providing them with GPS receivers. I spend some classroom time explaining a few basics: latitude & longitude, the GPS system, the basic "rules" of geocaching, cache types, basic cache info (size, difficulty, terrain), trade items, and trackables. Then I take them to a nearby area outdoors where I've hidden a dozen or more containers of various kinds, and I have them raise their hands when they spot a container. Then I call on them and have them identify the containers until they've found them all. The last couple usually require hints. I print Groundspeak's tri-fold brochures and make them available to any of their parents who are interested. All this takes about an hour.

More than that, and you'll need GPS receivers and a hiking trail with several geocaches of various kinds along it.

Edited by niraD

Cheap GPSrs can be bought off of your local used stuff website (in Canada we use kijiji.ca) Any of the older eTrex should be able to be purchased for $40ish. Just make sure it has an H in the model name (eg. eTrex Legend HC). I recently purchased two like that for exactly the same thing as you are trying to do. For teaching, you should probably hide some temporary caches for the students. That way they don't ransack other cachers caches.

First problem: Cheapskate :o

Second Problem: Need More GPSes for cheep (I know that you can get an appliction, but I have a dumbphone)

Third Problem: Not enough enough how to curriliculm (Prefer PDF)

So if anyone could help their greatly appreactaed. :):anibad::D

I second the suggestion that you place your own dummy caches for your students to find instead of turning them loose on someone else's hides.

I would also suggest partnering with an experienced cacher to run this class. I see that you have not found any multis, puzzles, difficult caches or caches in rough terrain, and you have not attended any events--these are all cache types you should be able to explain to your geocaching class, so you might want to have someone there who can speak about them. Good luck!

Edited by GrievousAngel

Cheap GPSrs can be bought off of your local used stuff website (in Canada we use kijiji.ca) Any of the older eTrex should be able to be purchased for $40ish. Just make sure it has an H in the model name (eg. eTrex Legend HC). I recently purchased two like that for exactly the same thing as you are trying to do. For teaching, you should probably hide some temporary caches for the students. That way they don't ransack other cachers caches.

Another thread reminded me that another requirement you should place on an old GPS that you buy is that is has USB. The older ones with serial interface is really annoying.

Second Problem: Need More GPSes for cheep (I know that you can get an appliction, but I have a dumbphone)

Check in the GPS and Education forum. Also, many local geocaching organizations will have powerpoint presentations and associated print-outs for teaching.

Visit GeocacheAlaska.org for an example of the powerpoint slides that have been used for teaching about geocaching topics.

I second the suggestion that you place your own dummy caches for your students to find instead of turning them loose on someone else's hides.

I would also suggest partnering with an experienced cacher to run this class. I see that you have not found any multis, puzzles, difficult caches or caches in rough terrain, and you have not attended any events--these are all cache types you should be able to explain to your geocaching class, so you might want to have someone there who can speak about them. Good luck!

I have attended an event, the spring mngca event 2012. :huh:

I found the MN Jay Cooke SP Wildlife Safari multi cache, but it got archived beforeI I could log it. :huh:

Another thread reminded me that another requirement you should place on an old GPS that you buy is that is has USB. The older ones with serial interface is really annoying.

Last year i got setup for teaching,but I live in a Rural-ish area. I put up a few posters but no one called. My uncle had a Magellan GPS 2000 with a serial interface, but it wasn't too annoying for me. I got it to work with my low memory Windows 2000, but i've upgraded since then. P.S.I wrecked it by leaving it in an empty cooler in a rainstorm. ;-(