Kuwaiti Caches

Sky Rookie

Hey all,

I will likely be taking a job in Kuwait this fall. I noticed that many of the caches are on US military bases. As a civilian can I access these caches? If not, is it possible to find a local solider and join him/her into the area to grab the cache? I certainly don't want to cause a problem or security issue, but do want to grab the caches. There are not a whole lot of caches there.

Thanks,

John aka Sky Rookie

Sorry to be the bearer of BAD news but US military installations in the Guilf are NOT accessible unless you have full US military accreditation. :( We have the same issues here in Qatar as do the guys in Bahrain and the UAE. Even if you "know someone" there is NO WAY that you will get onto base. I have a caching friend who is the Commanding Officer of his unit and he cannot get anybody on the base unless they have the necessary military accreditaion. Sorry, but I think you are out of it on that one. :o:ph34r:

Edited by cincol

I am not aware of any on US base caches in Bahrain or UAE; but that's a different topic. ................ {snip}

We have numerous cachers coming to visit Qatar to find cachers only to find out that they cannot gain access to the caches on the US military installations here. Did I say there are caches on US bases in Bahrain and the UAE? I think not.

I am not aware of any on US base caches in Bahrain or UAE; but that's a different topic. ................ {snip}

We have numerous cachers coming to visit Qatar to find cachers only to find out that they cannot gain access to the caches on the US military installations here. Did I say there are caches on US bases in Bahrain and the UAE? I think not.

Perhaps I misunderstood when you said "We have the same issues here in Qatar as do the guys in Bahrain and the UAE." And I offered it as a point of clarification, not of contention. My apologies if it came across wrong.

I know there is nothing we can do about it, but it was very frustrating for us when we visited Kuwait and out of 80 something caches listed, only about 10 were accessible to locals.

It always seems strange to us that a member of the military transiting through Kuwait (or anywhere similar)and not actually "setting foot in the country" can find a cache and get Kuwait etc. added to their stats, but a resident of the country is unable to visit that same cache location!

It always seems strange to us that a member of the military transiting through Kuwait (or anywhere similar)and not actually "setting foot in the country" can find a cache and get Kuwait etc. added to their stats, but a resident of the country is unable to visit that same cache location!

Ditto here in Qatar as well. However this does NOT happen on British, or Dutch, or French or any other military bases - total manipulation of the Groundspeak Guidelines that each and every one of us have to acknowledge when placing a cache.

To quote from the Placement Guidelines #6

"A cache may be disabled or archived if one or more of the following is true. Please note that the list is not exhaustive; there are many reasons why a cache may be disabled or archived.

1. If your cache is reported by the land owner or land manager as being an unwanted intrusion, Groundspeak will respect the wishes of the land owner or manager.

2. The cache placement is in an area that is highly sensitive to additional foot and/or vehicular traffic including, but not limited to, archaeological sites, historical sites and cemeteries. Note that some cemeteries permit cache placement.

3. The cache is on property belonging to a railroad. In the United States we generally require a distance of 150 ft (46 m) from active tracks. Local laws may vary.

4. The cache is problematic due to its proximity to a public structure, including and not limited to, highway bridges, dams, government buildings, schools, military installations, hospitals, airports and other such locations."