Smartphone meets GPSr

I have a Samsung ace and the gps kills the battery. Less than half an hour.

Every phone sold on the market has a GPS.....

Never said they don't. Just when I use mine for caching/the other QR thing it get about half hour before my phone dies. I know people with other brands and I had a HTC. They all lasted longer. Just curious how adding Glonass would affect battery life.

Maybe every smartphone. The $9.99 burner phones you can get from Radio Shack don't seem to have GPS in them.

At least not that the user can access ;)

The FCC E911 rule requires handsets to be locatable but it can be by cell tower triangulation.

Maybe every smartphone. The $9.99 burner phones you can get from Radio Shack don't seem to have GPS in them.

At least not that the user can access ;)

I took the thing apart, stripped it right down to the motherboard, and couldn't see anything on it that looked like GPS.

I have looked at the Samsung Rugbee. The newest one looks quite good. Long battery life is one of the featrues.

To answer some questions, yes, Samsung is using an imporved GPS chipset in (all/most?) of their new phones. My SII SkyRocket has great accruacy, and although it does use the battery, it is not a super heavy load. I will still get 2+h while using the GPS and screen heavly. Plus, spare batteries are cheep on eBay.

Edit to add: The GPS isn't as heavy of a load on the battery as a processor intensive game. Those can really make the phone cook.

Edited by Andronicus