BUSTED

DOCSpanky

YO maxx, you know this person is BRAND new started..

and you use quite alot of shorts :-)

DNF = Did not find

AWOL = absent without leave, he just mean it might be GONE..

CO = Cache Owner

your online log can and will help other seekers and also the owner,

so please dont just write : found, thanks.. or even worse : TFTC = Thanks for the cache..

A DNF log is often MORE important, over a find it log..

so please remember to log what ever you see and find, also if you dont find what you seek.

Good luck and welcome into this funny hobby or sport what ever it is for you.

one example as a good log:

Hello there, I am brand new, this is my first cache find,

it was not that easy to find, but I made it, spend about 7 minutes too track it down,

I did also sign the logbook as required, so now I can log it as found online,

I really liked your cache, it is in good shape, nice and dry and plenty of space left in the logbook,

and also I found a few funny plastic toys for small kids, however I did not take or trade any of them,

I am hooked, will go out and see if I can find more soon.

Edited by OZ2CPU

My very first find was a bust too, newbie + new GPS = duh - but we returned after when I learned how to use the GPS and logged a DNF stating that I thought it had fallen out of the trees and got buried under the snow - it was archived soon after. don't be discouraged, that first find, or any find for that matter, is exalting! Don't give up

When I first started, one of the first ones that I tried involved a cache that required a five mile hike. It was gone. I went back three times figuring that I must be doing something wrong, even though I was certain from the description about where it had been placed. Eventually it was archived. Those things happen, but I probably had a better time in going out on trail that I had never been than many of my subsequent finds. Sometimes it is not about finding a container. So I hope that you enjoy the game as much as many of us have.

Edited by geodarts

so please dont just write : found, thanks.. or even worse : TFTC = Thanks for the cache..

I have no problem with those...as long as there are other comments that go into more depth. Seriously...not a big deal when the hide is a 1 or 1.5 on the difficulty scale...or if it's a simple light pole under-skirt cache.

You will find one soon and hopefully get hooked like the rest of us! Our first one was at a car wash. We quickly found a nice yellow box on a door right where the coords lead us to. We thought that cant be it. So searched the whole place and found nothing. So we left a note saying WarNinjas found it and some swagg in the box and went on to the next one. We found a few later that day and realized our mistake! We quickly went back and removed the stuff from the box on the door and promised never to tell anyone about it!!! Oh wait I think I am breaking that promise now but no one reads this right! Turns out it was missing and we found the replacement one a few weeks later.

Happy caching.

-WarNinjas

Actually CO was the only one I didn't get right off. Military background so DNF and AWOL were no brainers. I believe I filed it properly. I was stoked to see the first cache was only 261 feet from my house. I was less impressed when after digging about in the area for 30 minutes in the rain, that I suddenly remembered the whole cluster of signs was taken out by a DRUNK DRIVER on New Years.

I am already past hooked. I have broken my back twice, so walking is just about the only recreation I can truly enjoy. I stumbled across the website while trying to update my auto GPS.

DOCSpanky is one word. It is a combination of a MARINE CORPS tradition, and a nickname. MARINE's call their Medics "DOC", and once you have EARNED that title, they associate it with a nickname. Long story short, Lots of beer in a barracks in Keflavik, Iceland, and an AFRTS broadcast of Little Rascals, and the rest is history. So without a picture, you can already guess who I look like.

I tried to access this from my DUMBPHONE this morning, and said NO to a facebook request for a first GEOCACHE friend. Whoever it was, I am sorry. Resend. I so enjoyed the descriptions of this hobby as being friend, family, and group based. Lord knows we could all use a friend or two.

DOCSpanky is one word. It is a combination of a MARINE CORPS tradition, and a nickname. MARINE's call their Medics "DOC", and once you have EARNED that title, they associate it with a nickname. Long story short, Lots of beer in a barracks in Keflavik, Iceland, and an AFRTS broadcast of Little Rascals, and the rest is history. So without a picture, you can already guess who I look like.

Well done sir.

I very first cache I looked for was a painted Altiods tin with a bunch of dirt and twigs glued all over it. It was sitting in the dirt in plain sight at the edge of the grass in a park. Talk about being clueless. It eventually became my 20th find. It was a 2.5 difficulty, but having never found a cache, or seeing the rating system, I had nothing to compare 2.5 to, so I had no idea that I was in way over my head for a first cache.