Grr to my eXplorist GC!

ColvaTron

Hello!

I got a Magellan eXplorist GC for my birthday last July. Having a Mac I had to quickly learn to download the GPX files to install the geocaches on the device. This has been working fine for months.

Yesterday, we decided to go on our first Cache of the year. So, last night I did my usual search, downloaded the gpx. files and copied them over to the device. I then ejected the device safely etc etc. I turned it on and there they were, perfect! So I turned it off, went to bed dreaming of today and my mini adventure.

I woke up this morning, turned the GPS on and what? No caches!? What how can this be!? Was it all a dream!? I connected the device to my MAC and went to copy the files over again only to see, wait...they are all in the folder under geocaches on the device?! So why is not reading them!?!!?!

I deleted them and did the process over and over until I decided to call Magellan. They were a waste of time. They have no idea what is wrong with it.

I played around with the geocaching website, and thought, hey why not, I will give the download to gps button a go...wow it worked its on my device...Brilliant! I will do the next 19 and then we can go, only 2 hours behind schedule!

I then safely ejected the device...turned it on.....clicked on geocaches and .......... only 2 out of the 20 were on there!?

Please someone help! Why over night would it stop reading the caches and why are they in the folder on the device but not showing when I turn it on? So gutted, I love this little GPS. :(

Nina

Not stated, but what distance are the loaded caches from your home (or current position)?

If something in excess of 50 miles, they may not show until you are closer to their position. Many GPSr units function that way.

Have you accessed the file through the main menu of the unit, rather than just wanting them to pop up as usual? If you see the file via your computer, you should be able to.

'Twas just a thought -- if distance is not the issue, I dunno what the problem would be.

Not stated, but what distance are the loaded caches from your home (or current position)?

If something in excess of 50 miles, they may not show until you are closer to their position. Many GPSr units function that way.

Have you accessed the file through the main menu of the unit, rather than just wanting them to pop up as usual? If you see the file via your computer, you should be able to.

'Twas just a thought -- if distance is not the issue, I dunno what the problem would be.

They are not far from me. The weirdest thing is they were showing up the night before!? The whole list...and then by morning, gone. Weird.

Been researching more tonight and found this topic...

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=289296

I created a pocket query and there they were....I have over 500 on there!

Not really sure how they work and I don't really want that many, I like the idea of picking the ones I want to do rather than every single one within a 10 miles radius, but the main thing is I have got the caches on the device.

Will wait till morning though before I get too excited as last time I thought I had them they disappeared by morning!

Thanks for all your help!

Nina

Checked this morning and they are all still there! YES!

Well, the long awaited Firmware upgrade has finally been released, so just load that sucker, and see if you ever have the problem again!

I have a Mac and an eXploristGC and the same issue(can't imagine it's Mac related)-I do PQs(usually renewals-overwriting old PQs), put them in the device by drag and drop, eject... go caching and stand next to a cache to find it not in my device. Often, even though my local PQ is always there in the folder, my 'closest' cache is 120 miles away. I've had just 3 caches show up even though I have 3 PQs of 1000 caches each in there. I cached for over a year with the same device and this is new-if anything I've gotten rid of rarely used PQs in the device, so I am well below the limit. I always used to have all of the caches loaded show up. And yes, I did make sure that 'show all' was there and I wasn't in 'sort & search' mode.

There seems to be another thread on the same issue.

I haven't upgraded yet but plan to. I hope that fixes the issue-scary to get somewhere to find that the caches aren't in your device... I have no smartphone so am totally out of luck when in the field.