Archive/disable/change question

nedinwc

I own a cache that I temporarily disabled because the route to the cache was blocked by a construction fence. The construction is far from the cache, so it will become accessible once the fence has been removed. At present, there is no other way to ground zero. This may happen in the late Spring, I don't know. Anyway, the reviewer has contacted me about archiving it, or putting a note in the blog(?) so he won't do it the end of the month. What sort of note do I put? I think the thread on the cache listing pretty much explains why it's disabled. Is there somewhere else to post something?

Is it possible to move a cache to a new location and keep the same name? Keep the same cache page with new coordinates? Know what I mean?

Just post a note to your cache page that reads "Disabling until Spring (or whatever) due to construction at cache site. Cache is inaccessible until construction is complete."

Send the same note to the reviewer. Nothing else you can do about it, unless you personally hire a full time crew to get the work done sooner!

If you plan on repairing this cache, please log a note to the cache (not email) within the next 30 days so I don't archive the listing for non-communication.

Quote from the reviewer's note.

So put a note on the cache page that you're still intending to enable the listing when the construction is complete and the area is open. That's all you need to do. Think of the reviewer's note as just a "ping" to see if there's still an interested cache owner.

BTDTGTTS. As others have said, just post a log and select "Write note" for the "Type of Log" field.

And when construction is delayed, be sure to log another note explaining the latest estimate of when the cache will again be available.

And when construction is delayed again,...

I think the thread on the cache listing pretty much explains why it's disabled.

I think the reason the reviewer posted their note is because the logs don't state when the cache will be re-enabled. It's clear why it's disabled, but not when that state will end. Potentially, as far as the reviewer knows, the construction could last years. If the estimated completion time is late spring, then just post a note saying so.

I think the reason the reviewer posted their note is because the logs don't state when the cache will be re-enabled. It's clear why it's disabled, but not when that state will end. Potentially, as far as the reviewer knows, the construction could last years. If the estimated completion time is late spring, then just post a note saying so.

+1

Even if the construction takes years at this point you have an active CO, what will archiving achieve as no one else could place a cache there till the work is done. I think "area fenced off due to construction" should be sufficient, I know it has been enough to keep a cache from being archived here for well over a year on several occasions.

Thanks all, that is much easier than I thought. The cache is part of a series as you have seen, so I didn't want to remove it permanently.

If the construction goes on longer, can I place a new cache using the same name about a 1/4 mile away? Or do I have to retire the old cache in everyway and start fresh?