Totally NEW will this work and how?

BaileyLinc

I got a nuvi40lm for Christmas and was hoping to do geocaching with it, but I know nothing about either. Can I use this for Geocaching? How do I get things on the GPS? The directions are really confusing in the manual because they only relate to car travel. I am hoping this great community can help me out. I have a 6 and 3 year old that love hiking and I thought this would be a great family activity.

Thanks in advance

You can do geocaching with a nuvi, but it can be frustrating. When I first got my nuvi in 2009, I tried it but lost interest after finding 2 or 3 caches. The basic process is to enter the coordinates of the cache and save it as a waypoint (or favorite). Change the nuvi navigation mode to "off road", select your saved waypoint and press GO. That will give you a "strait line" route from your current position to the cache. Navigate until you get close to the cache (within 50 to 100 feet). You will want to zoom in the map as you approach the cache. When you are close, you can switch to the trip display to see the number of feet to the cache. When you get within 20 or 30 feet, put the nuvi away and start searching.

If you want to get more sophisticated with the nuvi, you can join this site as a premium member, then use Pocket Querys and the GSAK program with a special nuvi macro to load multiple caches with descriptions, hints, D/T ratings to your nuvi as custom POI's. That will make the experience with the nuvi better, but it is still no substitute for a caching friendly handheld device that has the compass, destination pointer, field notes and other caching features.

Edited by alandb

Thanks for the information alandb. There is a possibility that I could return this one for a more cache friendly one. Any suggestions? I know that there are multiple reviews on the site which I have been looking over, but all I am looking for is a basic model that I can easily find a cache and possibly have my kids/wife learn to run. It is no fun if Dad runs with it all the time.

I use a Nuvii 500 in my geo truck. I load it from Geocaching .com with several caches and use it for directions to the area of the cache. I park 1/4 to 1/2 mile from GZ and then use my smart phone or my Garmin Map62sc to get to GZ where the search starts. I park that far away for the exercize. LOL When the wife goes with me she uses the phone and I use the 62sc. This system works well for us.

Edited by Heli Leo