Acer Aspire Netbook questions

Lieblweb

Greetings...

I'm pretty certain I'm looking to buy an Acer Aspire ONE (10" version) ...but have some questions.

Other than the usual .... Our next concern is to be able to move PQ's/ GPX files from the netbook into the Garmin via USB port while on vacations. We also would like 'connectivity' with our home computers (home sharing, ethernet, WIFI, etc). We have Windows 7 on two desktop computers and a laptop. Want something small (like a tablet), but want capabilities like a laptop.

I've seen the Acer Aspire ONE with Linex, XP, Windows 7 Starter, and Windows 8. I've briefly read that you can upgrade to full Windows 7. What operating system are you running? What would you recommend? My initial thought is to stick with Windows 7 just for home sharing - assuming it will do that. Is Windows 7 Starter OK or would you recommend upgrading to the full version? How much $$ and memory does the full version take up? Is it worth it or do you lack memory to do other things with the full Windows 7?

We use GSAK on our home computers to load up the GPS's.... Does anyone (or can you) run GSAK on the Acer netbook? Assuming it would need Windows 7? GSAK is not needed but would be considered a major bonus.

Off Topic - Does anyone have itunes on the netbook and use airplay? We have our home entertainment system setup with itunes airplay and our iphone 5's with remote App. To be able to connect to this via the ACER would also be a major bonus.

I've looked around and every ACER I've seen has a different number or letter and I honestly wouldn't know how to order one with a certain configuration. Can a person order one specifically with (say) full Windows 7 or am I stuck to whatever is available and upgrading after I get it home?

Sorry for the questions... and I appreciate any info you have about these things. First time buying a netbook. I think these will suite our needs much better than a tablet (per say).

Thanks again

FWIW I use a netbook for 3 years now and it works fine, at home in the wifi network,, take the cheap one with Win 7, you can always upgrade the win version.

Remember it's not a full desktop and things like Itunes and all that kind of sxxt fills up our computers with all kind of useless stuff.

However you can always connect an external drive on it.

I have the same netbook, and use it for caching on the road. It runs Windows 7, and that's what I recommend you choose - though as a Linux geek it pains me to say that. Windows 7 will run GSAK and MapSource, my two essential Windows apps that keep me from ditching Windows forever. Loading caches into the Garmin via USB works fine; I use a custom-POI macro for GSAK for that, though I expect it'll work via whatever technique you use.

At home I have a wireless network, and my main computer shares a few folders (eg, "Geocaching") so the netbook can connect to it. Occasionally I'll "backup" (zip) my main GSAK database on the main computer, move the file to the shared folder, then "restore" (unzip) it on the netbook over the wireless network. Bingo, I've got a second copy of my GSAK database on the netbook, ready for travel.

I've seen no reason to upgrade beyond the Starter version of Windows 7. As for Windows 8, most of what I've heard so far is negative - research before you commit.

I haven't tried iTunes on the netbook.

Hope that helps.

- VP

Edited by Viajero Perdido

I have the same netbook, and use it for caching on the road. It runs Windows 7, and that's what I recommend you choose - though as a Linux geek it pains me to say that. Windows 7 will run GSAK and MapSource, my two essential Windows apps that keep me from ditching Windows forever. Loading caches into the Garmin via USB works fine; I use a custom-POI macro for GSAK for that, though I expect it'll work via whatever technique you use.

At home I have a wireless network, and my main computer shares a few folders (eg, "Geocaching") so the netbook can connect to it. Occasionally I'll "backup" (zip) my main GSAK database on the main computer, move the file to the shared folder, then "restore" (unzip) it on the netbook over the wireless network. Bingo, I've got a second copy of my GSAK database on the netbook, ready for travel.

I've seen no reason to upgrade beyond the Starter version of Windows 7. As for Windows 8, most of what I've heard so far is negative - research before you commit.

I haven't tried iTunes on the netbook.

Hope that helps.

- VP

Thanks!!

That clears up a lot!

The impressions I've heard about Windows 8 have also been negative and why I want to avoid it. Everything else - there's that unknown of how things 'play' together.

Similar to you... We use a couple different macros for the GPS's and the Nuvi. GSAK on both desktops. All the computers are networked and our TV /entertainment center is also hooked up. iTunes/AirPlay is the way we network our music thru-out the house /stereo.

So... Yea... A bit nerdy in our house and the connectivity is important! Lol

Thanks again!

Glad to help. As for iTunes, even though it's bloatware, I'm pretty sure it'll fit into and run just fine on the netbook.

And now, a gratuitous picture:

ffc4ba71-7399-4b88-a7f0-b11ea2ddbb6c.jpg

Awesome! Although I tried to zoom in and see details of the photo on my phone while at work.... The Bacardi bottle and an obvious 'view' is enough to make me jealous!!!

Love it!

iTunes runs fine on all my netbooks. I recommend one with a dual core N2600 processor, 320 GB hard drive and max out the RAM memory for best performance (just bought 4 GB Crucial for like $22). I’ve upgraded to Windows 7 Ultimate for more networking and sharing options. I have external hard drives and ½ dozen other PC’s wirelessly networked that I can use their DVD drives and files on the netbooks. I’ve wanted to try a SSD but 256 GB is too small and 512 GB is still very pricey. The only application I’ve found that I can’t run is RoxioPhoto Suite because of its minimum 1024 X 768 pixels display setting.

Thanks everyone for the information!!

We ordered one last week and it arrived earlier today. I ended up spending a little more and got the 11.6 with 4GB Ram, and Windows 7 Home Premium. Hooking this up to our homegroup & wifi was a breeze. It actually recognized all our 'media' devices in the house along with all the computers.

The keyboard is something to get used to while I use the ASDF JKL: keys (no hunting & pecking here) - my hands keep hitting the pad. We also ordered a wireless mouse for it.

Now, I just need some sort of case or 'stand' (or both ) - to read in bed or in a recliner (with a beer or Captain & coke of course).

This little thing is going to be fun! Merry Christmas!! heheeheheheeee....

Glad we went this route instead of getting an ipad or other tablet.