I need help with my Oregon 450

dbbls

From Geocaching > Your Profile > Field Notes > Upload Field Notes

To upload Field Notes from your compatible Garmin device:

1 Plug your Garmin device into your computer with a USB cable.

2 Click "Browse" on this web page and go to the Garmin directory on your device's drive.

3 Select the file named "geocache_visits.txt" and click "Upload" on this page to upload your Field Notes.

4 We recommend that you delete the "geocache_visits.txt" file on your device once your Field Notes have been successfully uploaded.

Edited by Ducky

I have found several geocaches and have logged them into my Oregon 450 as "found". How do I get them out of the GPS so it is easier to find my new finds? I would like to have an empty file each time I go out geocaching. Thanks for any help I can get.

Are you talking about Field Notes? Because as Ducky outlined above, that's the way to go, if you want a simple way to catalogue a bunch of finds, for logging online (not just Found caches, but any log type). I usually move the geocache_visits.txt file out of the Oregon, onto the PC desktop so I don't have the chance to forget to delete it later. But Geocaching.com remembers where you left off, so you can even go without deleting it.

If you mean that you want to remove the "Found Caches" showing up in the Oregon's menu, that's different. It's not using the geocache_visits.txt file for that. If you're running Pocket Queries (which you probably should), the filters to select are caches that "I have not found" (and that "I don't own", if you don't want those loaded either). Delete the old PQ, load the new, so the latest "Found caches" are removed each time. See if that does the trick.

I ran that particularly filtered PQ just now, and it does in fact wipe out the list of "Found Caches". I don't load them like that, because removing the ones I've found removes valuable information (they show up on a separate "Found" list). The device can hold thousands of caches, so I prefer to have them all (I'm nowhere near maxxing out the memory with found caches). So I never tried this before, but it works if you load a PQ filtered for caches "I haven't found".

Edited by kunarion

I have found several geocaches and have logged them into my Oregon 450 as "found". How do I get them out of the GPS so it is easier to find my new finds? I would like to have an empty file each time I go out geocaching. Thanks for any help I can get.

1. As said, after each outing I upload my field notes to my computer.....you can then go into the Garmin directory and delete the geocache visits file...if you don't it can get quite large but by default only your latest finds will upload whenever you execute "upload field notes".

2. While in the Garmin directory go to the GPX subdirectory and delete any GPX files that are there....you will then be ready for a fresh PQ download which can be set to not include your found caches.....if you don't delete the GPX file you can continue caching and all your finds would show as open treasure chests ( you cannot delete individual " found " caches.)

3. On your unit use the menu button and go to geocache setup and you can reset your cache counter to 0.

I usually do all the above for each outing.