'Tis the season

JBnW

Just a nice reminder to be careful of your belongings and how you store them while out and about. Our caching ditty bag was heisted from inside our vehicle yesterday. Took a bunch of swag, some ready-to-go preforms and other containers, zip-locks full of zip-locks, other assorted geocaching stuff, and worst of all, the TBs we've been moving along. Heavy sigh. Funny thing they didn't see the 62s sitting in its window cradle, just the cheap black back-pack behind the driver's seat. Take care out there.

Good point. It was this time of year, a few years ago, when I returned to the car from grabbing a cache in a very posh neighborhood, only to find my window smashed out and my Nuvi stolen. I'm sure somebody felt the need to give a Nuvi for a Christmas present but couldn't afford one, and mine was right there behind a locked door.

Put stuff in your trunk and then remember to lock the glove-box that has the trunk-opening button.

My vehicle is an F-150. Thought it better to be stored inside the cab....

No, you should get a magnetic container to place under the gas-tank that will explode if tampered with.

Truckers. :anibad:

Put stuff in your trunk and then remember to lock the glove-box that has the trunk-opening button.

No, you should get a magnetic container to place under the gas-tank that will explode if tampered with.

Truckers. :anibad:

Or since we are geocachers, you should be able to camouflage a container under a truck too.

Just hide anything valuable, and keep the interior a mess with empty coffee cups and food containers strewn about. Pile all of your jackets and spare clothing in the back seat to hide the GPS and laptop. This strategy has always worked for me.

If you sprinkle the interior with mcToys, granola bar wrappers and used tissues, this helps as well. Never had a break-in yet, touch wood.

This year, I was thinking of adding a fake handicap permit and some crutches. Not only would it save time on Christmas shopping but would make potential thieves feel guilty.

Edited by The_Incredibles_

Or you can get a Honda Ridgeline that has a trunk and is a truck! LOL :P (I have one and do lock the glove-box trunk switch when hiking/caching for long periods of time).

Just hide anything valuable, and keep the interior a mess with empty coffee cups and food containers strewn about. Pile all of your jackets and spare clothing in the back seat to hide the GPS and laptop. This strategy has always worked for me.

My car is always cluttered. That strategy doesn't always work.

f071d6b7-a6d5-4e75-9ad0-188260ad4256.jpg

At least they didn't get the camera equipment belonging to the cacher/photographer who was visiting with me, looking for special caches across the US! They only took my purse. Which the cops found. I had all the cards cancelled by the time the cops showed up. Months later, some hikers found my wallet, and brought it to my house.

My car is always cluttered. That strategy doesn't always work.

Was the pocketbook out of sight? I left my car parked on a busy street in Manhattan near Times Square for 8 hours or so. When I returned I discovered that I had left the doors unlocked! Laptop and 2 GPS units were out of sight, along with a bicycle, climbing gear, ect in the trunk, and nothing was disturbed.

I just thunk this one up as I was tip-toe-ing through this post. I know it was about breakins but -

A TB on the window, that, if the car is stolen, might be logged by another cacher which could spot the car...havent heard any such stories but who knows...

Funny you mention this, but I thought I was gonna have a Barney Fife moment when describing the TBs that were stolen. When I explained the TBs and how they work, the nice Officer wanted to know if they could be tracked "live". I had one in my hand showing it to him, a simple aluminum dog tag TB...and he wanted to know if it transmitted a tracking signal. :rolleyes::blink:

<_<

My only hope is that the TBs show up on Ebay.

Aside from the feelings of impotency and violation that come with having your car broken into, you will experience those feelings once again with your insurance companies. Your auto insurance will tell you that, since your GPS is removable, that they won't cover it. Your home insurance will. So, you contact your home insurance (very likely the same company) who will tell you that no... it was in your automobile... it is covered by that insurance.

Un-flipping-believable! The local Sheriff's Department found and just returned our ditty bag, with almost everything still there. Whoever snagged the bag DIDN'T take any of the preforms, lock-n-locks, camo duct tape, Silva compass, bag-o-swag, bug spray, bandannas, pens, pencils, zip-locks, other assorted geo-stuff, or any of the 4 TBs! They DID take the Crown Royal bag that contained the TBs (dumping the TBs in a side pouch). Some people's taste in things... I'm so happy I could kiss a frog! :anicute:

Merry Christmas everyone, but still take care out there!

Un-flipping-believable! The local Sheriff's Department found and just returned our ditty bag, with almost everything still there. Whoever snagged the bag DIDN'T take any of the preforms, lock-n-locks, camo duct tape, Silva compass, bag-o-swag, bug spray, bandannas, pens, pencils, zip-locks, other assorted geo-stuff, or any of the 4 TBs! They DID take the Crown Royal bag that contained the TBs (dumping the TBs in a side pouch). Some people's taste in things... I'm so happy I could kiss a frog! :anicute:

That's awesome.

That Challenge doesn't exist anymore.

I'm glad for the find!