Searching For Members

*bandit*

It sounds like you're trying to find someone through the list of who's active in the Groundspeak Forums.

Instead of this, search for a member on the Geocaching.com website using the Find a User page. You can access this page any time from your Profile page. Look in the right hand column under "Account Options" and click on the link for "Find Another Player."

We removed the functionality because it is a huge hit on our database. We unfortunately are not able to remove the link, as the forum software is a third-party package and we do not have access to that code.

Thanks for the explanation. Now that I think about it, it didn't work very well anyway, but it was kind of helpful if you if you really didn't remember how to spell a cacher's name, as you could see them all in a list, a really long list.

Well, what I found was that I could search for a member but I am not certain how I did it. What I can tell you is that once I hit search or whatever it was I would get the error message then after a small wait it would pop up. I did find who I was looking for.

Thanks everyone

We removed the functionality because it is a huge hit on our database. We unfortunately are not able to remove the link, as the forum software is a third-party package and we do not have access to that code.

Is there any effort into remedying the situation? Maybe explain more as to what you mean by "huge hit". Are you talking about bandwidth, processing, etc. Doesn't it basically a "search" function (I know that it how it is treated on vBulletin and other similar sites). Maybe put in a volume filter (only search members area every 5 minutes).

Is there any effort into remedying the situation?

I don't think there's any point in trying to fix it. You can already search for users through the link posted in post #2. Also, as I understand it, a user's forum account isn't created until they visit the forums the first time. The Members tab here in the forums would probably only search forum accounts, so it would miss anyone who hadn't been to the forums.

Is there any effort into remedying the situation?

I don't think there's any point in trying to fix it. You can already search for users through the link posted in post #2. Also, as I understand it, a user's forum account isn't created until they visit the forums the first time. The Members tab here in the forums would probably only search forum accounts, so it would miss anyone who hadn't been to the forums.

That actually is why I wanted to go to it, was for forum use, not geocaching. A lot of times, the "members" area can be a very useful tool in determining a great many things.