are geocachers getting soft?

ving

A micro in the bush though? I don't get the point.

The point is participation and contribution to the sport/game/hobby/activity.

I used to hide mainly adventure type caches, but I've expanded my taste for hiding to the occasional P&G.

A wise cacher (Nov64) stated at a recent event that caches are like burgers and steaks. When she is in the mood for hamburger, any old P&G will do. When she wants a big fat juicy steak, she loads up her pack and heads down the trail.

I made the comment at a statewide event recently, that there is probably a subset of cachers who only like to hunt in parking lots and well lit public places. 4 hands shot up within 2 yards of me. All ladies in their 50's.

The great thing about geocaching is that caches are just choices for how to spend our free quality time. If you don't get the point of a cache, you can bet someone else will. Resistance is futile. Geocaching is evolving and we all know what evolution does.... :anibad:

Funny, I often make a similar analogy, but using cheap store bought cookies like Snackwells vs. a gourmet triple chocolate layer cake, or award winning apple pie.

Guess I have more of a sweet tooth than Nov64.

Sometimes a snack is enough, sometimes you desire and have time for a treat.

Edited by wimseyguy

I don't really like nanos or micros. They just never seem to be worth finding. They aren't in a cool place most of the time, and they're just there for the sake of a cache. I like ammo cans, and tupperwares and that sort of thing. They can still be hidden well, but they also let me see the traces of people before me. A log doesn't do much for me. It's about seeing what weird and interesting things people are dropping off. I dislike the idea of "Park and Grabs" and try not to do those. The caches I like are on interesting trails, or near interesting structures/views. They give me a good workout (hike, paddle, whatever) and take me new places. I've been in enough parking lots, thanks.

I don't mind a tough hide when I'm taken somewhere new and interesting. But there's a difference between well hidden and annoying hidden. A well hidden hide is interesting, resourceful and creative. An annoying hide is "under a rock" when there's a million rocks.

Edited by Ranger_Mick

as for me, i like to hunt. sometimes i dont find them but the doesnt worry me... I do like all types of caches tho but get more satisfaction from one that i have to work for than a carpark grab and run. I like ingenious camo too. the better the camo the more i like it. I dont do or care for swaps i just like to sign the log.

so to wrap up here, what people like is amo containers that are in places that are hard to get to but accessable by wheelchair they need good camoflage but need to stand out like a sore thumb for that quick grab or the long hunt.... everyone likes different things and no one cache is going to keep everyone happy.

ps: rainbow spirit; i live pretty much across and up the road a bit. this particular area seems popular with koalas for some reason and i often hear them in the bush during the night grunting. i also see them every so often while walking in the area. I have only lived here for 3 years but i have had plenty of sightings along this road. :)

A micro in the bush though? I don't get the point.

The point is participation and contribution to the sport/game/hobby/activity.

I used to hide mainly adventure type caches, but I've expanded my taste for hiding to the occasional P&G.

A wise cacher (Nov64) stated at a recent event that caches are like burgers and steaks. When she is in the mood for hamburger, any old P&G will do. When she wants a big fat juicy steak, she loads up her pack and heads down the trail.

I made the comment at a statewide event recently, that there is probably a subset of cachers who only like to hunt in parking lots and well lit public places. 4 hands shot up within 2 yards of me. All ladies in their 50's.

The great thing about geocaching is that caches are just choices for how to spend our free quality time. If you don't get the point of a cache, you can bet someone else will. Resistance is futile. Geocaching is evolving and we all know what evolution does.... :anibad:

So, I guess hiking three miles for a nano is kind of like waiting two hours to be seated, for a McDouble Cheesburger?

Every one has their own idea as to what rating a hide gets.

They shouldn't. That's why we have a rating system. If people did their best to use it, all of us would have a better idea of what to expect. If your special tool is a gun to shoot a wild animal that may threaten you, you are really stretching it to call it a T5. I'd have about 3000 T5 finds if I counted all of the caches where I could have been bitten by a rattlesnake.

Yes there’s a rating system, but unfortunately some cachers are starting to pad their Difficulty/Terrain ratings (like some pad their total find counts). I have a 5/5 geocache that takes a couple days to complete. It involves hiking to the top of a mtn, exploring an abandoned mine and then hiking to a sub alpine lake. Recently, another 5/5 cache became available nearby – it’s part of a power trail :rolleyes:. I believe that a few years ago the “average” geocacher was middle aged and preferred a short hike to a scenic area. Nowadays most geocachers appear to be older, rotundier and prefer driving 528ft to the next cache. Quantity over quality seems to be the reason for most of the new hides in my area :( .

To summarize; YES, it is my belief that geocachers are getting soft!

cc720a14-796b-4975-b695-b46d76acc2a9.jpg?rnd=0.4113232

I think the key is to make a high difficulty hide an enjoyable and fun experience.....an 'AHA! :D' moment when they finally discover the cache.

IMHO.... Exactly!! Some of the best caches are hidden in plain sight but easily overlooked while searching for it.

My belief is that most cachers seem to get the most enjoyment out of a cache that is easy enough to find, but only after enough of an effort that they feel proud of their accomplishment.

I have an opinion about giving a hint. Usually when I place a cache way out, meaning over 2 miles of hiking, I will give a hint. I do not like not being able to find a hide when I may have spent an hour getting to GZ. If it is an urban micro, I will never give a hint until after FTF has been claimed, and then depending on how hard the hide is, I still may not put a hint on the page. My biggest pet peeve though, is that I have no problem helping others with my hides, as long as they take the time to ask. I have a 123 hides and everyone of them has its own story, if someone is having a problem finding it, then I am more than happy to help.

There are a few of my hides that I really take pride in, as they are extremely hard for the majority of cachers to find, and they have the T/D rating that should tell them that. These ones I will almost never put a hint on, as that is the intent of those select few caches, they are supposed to be a challenge and rarely found, that being said I will still help others to find them if I am asked.

The other part about hints, is that it makes the success rate of finding the cache that much higher and in turn there is more traffic to said cache, this then leads to geo-trails and signs that others have been there. This renders the cache in my opinion, boring and not worthy of the status of being called a Geocache, as I believe that it should be a challenge to find a cache and not all about finding it really quickly. The more work that i have to put into a find, the more I want to venture out and get challenging hides. I love micros, and I love to place micros, the harder I can make a hide, the more satisfaction I get when people actually find the cache and tell there story about it.

Not getting softer but OLDER and less MOBILE. After having open heart surgery and the wife a stroke we have to limit ourself to what we can do. I am 87 and the wife is a year younger. However we have found almost 2,000 this year. Yes, a few powertrails that you can drive to have helped. Dick & Arlene