Garmin GPSMAP 60 CSx or 62S or eTrex 30?

happydutch

I just purchased a brand new 60CSx from a colleague for a nice price. I wanted to see whether I like the unit. I noticed the menu system is almost identical to the Legend HCx, which is my current GPSr. I was looking for compass support this is why I was thinking about a 60CSx since I enjoy working with the Legend. Also I had some severe accuracy issues with my Legend recently on mountain side hikes so looking for something more sensitive.

I also tried out the Dakota 20 (and returned it as I missed some Legend features I got used to) and what I did like about the more modern software is that navigating a track is a lot simpler ("Where To?" instead of TracBack and have to select a point). I hiked in heavy rain with it under dense canopy and it kept an accurate lock, compared to the Legend that drifted off course.

Now I am torn between:

- Keep the 60CSx -- live with the somewhat dated software -- I keep on hearing that the accuracy of this unit is very good

- Sell the 60CSx and get of the following:

- GPSMAP 62S

- eTrex 30

I keep on hearing good things about the eTrex 30 -- it seems to be a mini-62S and apparently the extra satellite support helps it to keep accuracy under a dense canopy.

However if the 62S has better sensitivity AND the same features compared to eTrex 30 I may go for that model.

Any opinion?

Both still need software improvements and those seem to be coming slowly.I came from the 76csx and now have the Etrex 30,check them both out at a store as the buttons are totally different and so are the screen sizes.I got the 30 because it was small for multi day hiking trips.Map panning on the 30 is probably slower,but still usable and it also has Glonass...but which is better is like asking who likes what color.

I'm curious how you got a "brand new" 60CSx for a nice price as it's a discontinued model which, if one can find a store carrying it, has a hugely inflated price tag. That being said, I'd keep the 60CSx regardless and think about the 62s or the eTrex30 (or even the 20...great unit for the price.) The 60CSx is very reliable and rock-solid but newer features in today's new handhelds makes it a little dated.

Edited by luvvinbird

I'm curious how you got a "brand new" 60CSx for a nice price as it's a discontinued model which, if one can find a store carrying it, has a hugely inflated price tag. That being said, I'd keep the 60CSx regardless and think about the 62s or the eTrex30 (or even the 20...great unit for the price.) The 60CSx is very reliable and rock-solid but newer features in today's new handhelds makes it a little dated.

"brand new" ==> Purchased but never used -- new in box. It seems that these unit sell for $300+ on eBay especially when it's new in box.

After having read a ton of reviews and watched various videos on YouTube the eTrex 30 seems to be as good as the 62S. Like someone said earlier on this thread, it's a personal preference. I have not heard anyone about the larger antenna of the 62S being a real advantage, which puzzled me a little.

The 62s would be my choice over the eTrex30 (if price wasn't an option, as noted), the screen alone is about 30% larger overall and it has a very similar size, shape and feel to your 60CSx. I have both a 62s and a 60CSx and I love using them. I recently purchased an eTrex20 which will be my travel companion and, to be honest, I love using it too!

I'd go for the 62S.....if you can afford it, the 60CSx makes a great back-up.

Any rationale for the 62S from your side?

I've always been a fan of the quad-helix antenna.....I have 4 different models using the quad and several without.

I find the button layout on the 62 series ( same as the 60,76)much better than the Etrex joystick, etc.

The firmware for the 62 series is more mature ( my unit works perfectly )....read this forum re Etrex firmware.

The 62 has a GREAT 3-axis pointer{ compass} ( will always point at the cache even if you're not moving)......I've read several on this forum that won't even use this feature on the Etrex 30 it performs so poorly.

IMO the Etrex wasn't made to compete with the 62 but to offer a less costly alternative...like trying to compare a BMW 700 series with the 300 series.

I'd go for the 62S.....if you can afford it, the 60CSx makes a great back-up.

Any rationale for the 62S from your side?

I've always been a fan of the quad-helix antenna.....I have 4 different models using the quad and several without.

I find the button layout on the 62 series ( same as the 60,76)much better than the Etrex joystick, etc.

The firmware for the 62 series is more mature ( my unit works perfectly )....read this forum re Etrex firmware.

The 62 has a GREAT 3-axis pointer{ compass} ( will always point at the cache even if you're not moving)......I've read several on this forum that won't even use this feature on the Etrex 30 it performs so poorly.

IMO the Etrex wasn't made to compete with the 62 but to offer a less costly alternative...like trying to compare a BMW 700 series with the 300 series.

That's a great insight; thanks! The compass and greater precision is important to me and the most important reason I am upgrading from the Legend HCx. I got lost yesterday for a while because without compass it's so hard to find your way back to a trail. I kept on walking back and forth and then made a detour over a golf course before finding a trailhead bringing me back to the trail...

"brand new" ==> Purchased but never used -- new in box. It seems that these unit sell for $300+ on eBay especially when it's new in box.

Amazing... I got my 60CSx brand new years ago with Garmin TOPO USA bundled for under $200.

That said...get a Montana 600... LOVE mine. MUCH better than the 60CSx and I really loved that unit. And, I'll love it again if I ever have to fall back on it as a backup unit since I'm never selling it. :anibad:

Amazing... I got my 60CSx brand new years ago with Garmin TOPO USA bundled for under $200.

That said...get a Montana 600... LOVE mine. MUCH better than the 60CSx and I really loved that unit. And, I'll love it again if I ever have to fall back on it as a backup unit since I'm never selling it. :anibad:

I was somewhat stunned by the prices I see as well... It seems folks really pay premium for a as new unit.

And thanks for the Montana recommendation <_< I already have a hard time making up my mind :P

My Etrex 30 compass seems to work fine as does its reception,I dont geo-cache much,mostly hike and to be honest dont trust any electronic compass fully.

Why? No reason to trust it any less than the massively complex system known as the "rest of your GPS"...from your ground unit to the ground stations to the satellites...

And thanks for the Montana recommendation <_< I already have a hard time making up my mind :P

No problemo. It's the absolute best "do it all" GPS unit ever made...for now... Buy it from a place like LL Bean (lifetime repair, replacement or, most notably, refund for ANY reason at ANY time) if that ever becomes not the case with it being the best. :anibad:

Why? No reason to trust it any less than the massively complex system known as the "rest of your GPS"...from your ground unit to the ground stations to the satellites...

What are you thinking there are countless threads on this site about electronic compass issues.My real compass never needs calibration and never lies to me thats why!