Oregon 450

Buggies

I'm looking at upgrading from the iPhone to a GPS for geocaching and backpacking. I've been a slave to the internet looking at reviews of GPS units for about a week now.

I hear a lot of good things about the Garmin Oregon 450. Does this sound like a reasonable GPS? Or is there better or bang for the same price?

I have some questions about the unit though. First off, I've read some posts here about the difference between the 450 and 450T. I was planning on getting the 450, since I would like to get the 24K topo maps fr more detail. This leads me into my next question about purchasing Garmin maps. I want the Northeast 24k topo maps. Now I'm looking at those and there is two options: a DVD, and an SD card. The DVD looks as if it gives you a larger chunk of the Northeast than the SD card gives you. I was wondering why that is? And what would be the way to go? DVD or SD card? I read a few posts on the forum that the SD card is the best way to load maps on the GPS.

Should be some great deals on the Garmin Oregon 450 very soon now, as we close in on Black Friday. Get a 16/32 GB uSD card while you're re at it.

The "t" model includes Garmin 100k topo maps, and they can be off by as much as 300 feet, as reported by many users. Otherwise, the 450 and 450t are the same unit.

Garmin 24k topo maps are much better, but before you buy them, look here and see if they have what you need.

If you decide on the Garmin maps still, the uSD card option is easiest, but limits your ability to add more maps to the device. The DVD version does have more information, and will install to your computer, where you can see/use it in BaseCamp, as we as send all, or part of the map to your Oregon as you desire.

Start reading up on the Oregon here, and be sure to back the device up immediately after you get it, and update the unit to the latest firmware.

You will be very pleased with the Oregon GPSr from Garmin. A very good unit and reasonably priced.

Edited by Atlas Cached

We use 450 and 62S.....after about 2000 side by side searches we find the 62 a little quicker and more accurate. I also prefer the button interface ( panning the map on the Oregon is horrible for me......its my wifes unit).....I like the brighter screen and quad antenna also.

The 450 is a really nice unit but that screen is not like an iPhone.

As said, this time of year I got my 450 for a little over $200 and my 62S for $269 at GPS City.....sales are coming.

Edited by BAMBOOZLE