How'd you Find Geocaching?

Gizzygo

I found it when I saw a link to it on the website for a conservation area nearby, when I was looking into booking a campsite. There are caves in the area, and the park features caching inside -- http://www.warsawcaves.com/maps.htm

While I didn't end up making it out to that particular campground last summer, I did end up starting to geocache. I'd never heard of it before then, came across it entirely randomly, and have been caching ever since.

It was my first date with av8ndv8 who'd used a GPSr as a balloon pilot but was fairly new to caching. He went on to become a major influence in New Mexico caching and we had 5 good years before he died in 2009. Local cachers kept me going and in 2011, I introduced a new guy to caching and he's much better at it than I am and humors my obsession with events. We got married and last year was my best caching year yet.

I remember it like it was last month...because it was last month. :P

I am a recovering online game addict and was looking for something to get me off my fat duff and outside.

I am not into team sports.

One night I was sitting at work and a friend posted on FaceBook that they were going Geocaching the next morning.

I was bored and we weren't busy so I Googled it.

Read about it for a couple of hours. Watched a couple of videos. Downloaded the NeonGeo App to my phone.

Made my first find the next day!

In less than one month I have logged almost 30 finds.

My wife loves it. My 5 year old daughter loves it. Even my 65 year old Dad wants to try.

This new hobby hits on all of my interests: need for exercise, not a team sport, can be done solo or with a group, family friendly, see lots of cool places close to me that I never knew were there and best of all; I get to use multi million dollar satellites to find Tupperware in the woods.

Addict!

DizzKneeGeeks

P.S. If anyone from Escambia, Santa Rosa or Okaloosa Counties in Florida, stumble upon this; feel free to send us a friend request through the site.

I first got a GPS when the units became popular and accurate enough to use for navigating my wilderness hikes.

And just by chance, I found out that people were hiding objects by lat/long coordinates--back when geocaching.com was brand-new and Signal the Frog was the logo. :smile:

I found it pretty fun--until my Garmin Legend died, and I didn't get a new unit. But, I just got a new GPS as a gift, and I'm happy to see there are many more geocaches now! :grin:

My mom is an elementary school teacher and heard about it when she got a class set of GPS's for the latitude/longitude/compass/navigation cirriculum. She told me about it in April 2007 and I had to try to find one. I found one a couple days later and the rest is history.

Later she told me that she originally told me about it in 2004 and I wasn't interested. I don't remember her telling me in 2004, but if she had I probably wouldn't have been interested back then.

Edited by simpjkee

I asked a friend of mine from church about handheld GPS one Sunday and he mentioned Geocaching. That evening after church he invited me to his house to search for a cache that is located on a city walking/biking trail nearby. He explained that for the price of a decent handheld, I can take my family on some really cool adventures to places one might never think of going. I bought a Garmin eTrex Legend off CL for $40 from a college student and the rest is history. I have introduced several friends, family members, and co-workers to the sport since then.

I read about geocaching in a book called Maphead, bought a GPS receiver online, then went out geocaching with my girlfriend. We did it for several months before meeting any other geocachers.

I had played a map game called St Valentine's Day Massacre. In their promo they had a quote from Ken Jennings, the guy who won all that money on Jeopardy. He played that game and wrote about it in his book. I checked the book out of the library and read it. One chapter was about geocaching, which Ken also does. sounded interesting so I looked up the website and tried it.

I had a frustrating day where I logged a pile of DNFs. One cache owner emailed me and invited me to a geocachers breakfast. We attended, met a lot of cachers, and haven't looked back since.