A birthday message in a geocache

I'm not sure if this is the done thing so wanted to check on the forums. I'm going to introduce my girlfriend to geocaching when we're on holiday. I know she'll love it but I don't think she's heard of it yet! It's her birthday and I thought it would be nice if the first cache we found had a birthday message for her. So two questions...

1) Is this sort of thing considered OK?

2) I won't be in the area prior to the holiday so I'd want to put a request out for a geo cacher planning to visit a particular cache, to add the message. I'm hoping it would be a fun idea someone might fancy doing. Where would be the best place to put the request out? In the geocaching.com logbook of the cache I'd like it to be in? Message the person who placed the cache? Post in this forum?

Any thoughts negative or positive greatly appreciated :)

1. No problems doing it, there have been birthdays and marriage proposals done like this.

2. You could try and contact either a fellow cachers or even a cache owner where you're heading to to ask them to seed the cache for you. Depending on where it is you could try asking in a forum or maybe one of the regional geocaching facebook pages.

No 1: Yes

No 2: I actually did it for someone in a cache I own, it was a first date though, and she bailed on him after the first cache :laughing: so never got the card I'd put in the cache on his behalf

Ask some CO's in the area your intending to visit to help, I'm sure someone will

Deci

What a nice gesture, I would love that if someone did it for me.

Quick question though..... Are you sure you will be able to find the cache in which the message is secreted? You haven't actually found any caches yet. Unless of course, you have found some and not logged them?

Either way, I wish you well with your plan :D .

Once or twice I've left sealed envelopes for cachers I've known are planning to visit my caches, so as a CO I'd certainly participate in this sort of thing if asked. You'd probably not want to choose a high-traffic cache and/or leave too long a gap between deposit and collection.

Thanks everyone for your answers. This is great! This is where I'm staying:

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=RH20+1PA&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-a&hnear=Bury+RH20+1PA,+United+Kingdom&gl=uk&t=m&z=15

There are a few lovely sounding ones around there that should be easy enough to find. A lot of them were placed by wizardsmum so I've sent her/him a message. Fingers crossed! There are a few other COs I can try if wizardsmum doesn't check messages very often.

I have been geocaching before but didn't log it cos I was with friends who knew what they were doing with apps on their phones and stuff. I'm all set to find and log myself now.

Thanks again.