PQ to GPS

Lacey1961

Did you access the SD card when you turned on the unit to check? You may have to access the card and [Open] the GPX file.

Also.... if the caches loaded are a long ways away from your current location (cannot remember the distance -- something like 50 miles and greater), they will not show -- they are there, they just don't show because of distance limitations.

You can if you desire, through the Main Menu, change the cache list order from distance to alphabetical, or numerical. They would show then, but not by distance. That can make for a 'clumsy' to use list, though.

Edited by Gitchee-Gummee

Did you access the SD card when you turned on the unit to check? You may have to access the card and [Open] the GPX file.

Also.... if the caches loaded are a long ways away from your current location (cannot remember the distance -- something like 50 miles and greater), they will not show -- they are there, they just don't show because of distance limitations.

You can if you desire, through the Main Menu, change the cache list order from distance to alphabetical, or numerical. They would show then, but not by distance. That can make for a 'clumsy' to use list, though.

Wow, I'm not understanding a lot things said in this thread.

I didn't read that the OP said the eTrex 30 has an installed SD card. Does the 30 come with an SD card? The 20 does not.

If using the internal storage, one needs to open the GARMIN/GPX folder and place the extracted PQ files there. If using an optional SD card, one first needs to create a GARMIN folder on the card, open it and create a GPX folder. The extracted PQ files then would be placed in the GPX file.

I don't know of any problems with the eTrex 20 or 30 displaying distant caches. I have read of such issues with the eTrex 10.

I don't know of a way to sort caches by name or number on the eTrex 20. Is there an option to do so on the 30?

I didn't read that the OP said the eTrex 30 has an installed SD card. Does the 30 come with an SD card? The 20 does not.

If using the internal storage, one needs to open the GARMIN/GPX folder and place the extracted PQ files there. If using an optional SD card, one first needs to create a GARMIN folder on the card, open it and create a GPX folder. The extracted PQ files then would be placed in the GPX file.

I don't know of any problems with the eTrex 20 or 30 displaying distant caches. I have read of such issues with the eTrex 10.

I don't know of a way to sort caches by name or number on the eTrex 20. Is there an option to do so on the 30?

No, it doesn't come with an SD card. I put the extracted file in the Garmin folder, but it's not seeing it. I have 4 caches in a quick, very restricted PQ, and it's telling me no caches. Garmin is no help. Yeah, I tried calling them. If I send the cache individually to the unit, it will see it, though. I don't know what I'm doing wrong.

No, it doesn't come with an SD card. I put the extracted file in the Garmin folder, but it's not seeing it. I have 4 caches in a quick, very restricted PQ, and it's telling me no caches. Garmin is no help. Yeah, I tried calling them. If I send the cache individually to the unit, it will see it, though. I don't know what I'm doing wrong.

Forgive me if I belabor the obvious, but I want to be sure:

You said you put the file in the Garmin folder. In needs to be in the Garmin/GPX folder.

What is the complete name (including extension) of the file you placed on the gps.

You said you can load individual caches. When you search the GPS where do you find those files?