Smartphone app or dedicated GPS system?

Hi!

I'm fairly new to geocaching having done about a dozen with my young family. I have a BlackBerry smart phone with a Cache Sense app on it that we are using. I get on well with the app, but am not always convined by its accuracy and it has a lot of restrictions around downloads in a day etc. Given a number of recent DNF's, I'm thinking about investing in a GPS device. My only concern is the spend vs benefits compared with my current app. Is a geocaching GPS system much better than a smartphone app? Is it more accurate, reliable, less restrictive over downloads etc? Any advice would be gratefully received as I don't want to go spending the money only to find it's just the same as my phoen! Also, what device do you use and would you recommend it/another one?

Thanks so much!

(the stinky rabbits)

I can't speak to a GPS because I've been using the paid app on the Iphone 4S. It's extremely accurate - when it says you're a foot away, you're a foot away - and doesn't have too much trouble under tree cover. I can't speak for the Blackberry's GPS capabilities, but I can tell you I'm doing just fine with Iphone and am happy I didn't have to buy another gadget for my ever growing gadget landfill big_smile.gif Best $10 I ever spent for the paid app. A lot more entertainment than a movie ticket smile.gif

Smartphone's tend to be a bit more off then gps'es, BUT you might be just a bit unlucky with the dnf's.

If you're under heavy treecover, heavy clouds, covering the phone to much with your body or (urban)canyon it's just harder.

Also the cache might not be exactly where the lat/lon says it is and the margin might vary from not less then 6 feet to 20 - 30 feet

The BB is not the easiest phone to do caching with and it has limited choice of app's, but the app's on the smartphone's are a lot moderner then the software on Gps'es.

With the phone you got all with you and if you want you can update new data via the network, with a gps you need a computer, load the data on the computer and then transfer the data to the gps.

If you're ok with the screen in the bright sun and batterylife, just stick with the phone.

I also use the CacheSense app on my Android devices. GPS accuracy is very good both on my Nexus S phone and Nexus 7 tablet. The app is one of the best I've used. Can't speak to the GPS accuracy of your BlackBerry. You could try posting the question in the CacheSense BlackBerry forums - http://www.zitafarm.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=27

EDIT: The download restrictions are from geocaching.com, not the CacheSense app. If you decide you like geocaching, you could purchase a premium geocaching.com membership and the restrictions will be removed. Also, DNFs are part of the geocaching learning curve. As you geocache more, your DNFs should decrease :)

Edited by michaelcouture

A 'proper' GPSr every time!!

I started with a phone but soon got my first (of 3!) GPSr very soon after. When I go back to using a phone it reminds me why I like using a GPSr.

The things I like are a) Battery life B) Ruggedness and c) not having to worry about a phone signal. There are ways to get a phone 'acceptable' but why not use the proper tool for the job?! :)

Buy a handheld GPS, you won't be disappointed!!

And continue to carry your phone with you for instant logging and taking pictures!

But seriously... Buy a handheld. If you discover that you don't like it .... Sell it.

I'm pretty certain there are plenty of people on the forum looking for a good used GPS to purchase.