Update Coordinates Log

Cardinal Red

I am not new here. I have updated coordinates before. I am aware of the limitations. I did eventually get the coordinates updated, but there is something weird in the system this evening or that feature needs MAGOR code jockey attention.

I remember it as being quick, easy, and intuitive all at the same time. It wasn't even one of those this time. I hope I don't need this feature again any time soon. My concern is that I didn't see anything else here about this. Am I just an idiot of one, and I just need to get a computer science degree to clear up a misunderstanding on my part?

...there is something weird in the system this evening or that feature needs MAGOR code jockey attention.

Am I just an idiot of one, and I just need to get a computer science degree to clear up a misunderstanding on my part?

Are you willing to enlighten us as to what this "something" is? It's hard for us to tell you if it's a misunderstanding on your part if we don't know what problem you encountered. I last updated the coordinates for one of my caches back in June, and the process appears to be the same now as it was then.

I was hoping someone would be able to try it and see the same thing I did and save me a lot of typing. I don’t think my peers will be able to fix this, but since you asked … I didn't take notes while I was fighting with this, but here is what I remember, and it's a long story.

I clicked "Log your visit". I chose "Update Coordinates" as the log type. I was expecting to be presented with a box to enter the new coordinates. Nothing. I typed a brief statement to accompany the coord update. I clicked "submit" thinking I would surely be given the opportunity to enter coords now. I was, sort of. A coord box showed up with a notification that I was trying to move the cache to far (not true). I was also given a link to contact the Reviewer (by Reviewer Name) that originally published the cache. The problem there is, I know who that person is. They kind of got promoted, and while they have even greater powers now, they are no longer my Reviewer. I only wanted to move the cache twenty feet to hopefully more correct coordinates. Full disclosure - This cache had previously been moved by me away from a Park cleanup. The coordinate box I now had access to was pre-filled with all zeros. Well of course it was too far a move if I had really been trying to move it from Pennsylvania to North Zero, West Zero. I filled in the actual coord information and clicked "submit" again. I was informed this type of log needed coords included. No kidding.

I shut down the log attempt and checked the cache page to confirm that nothing had gone through. I started all over again. Pretty much the same sequence of comedy. I thought I had clicked "add coordinate to this log" out of desperation the first time, but I'm not sure. That should not be necessary with an "Update Coords" log. It doesn't even make sense to have that as an option. At some point I looked at the coord entry box again, and instead of being filled in with all zeros or the updated coords I had just entered, it now had the current cache page coords. At least that was progress. That is what should have been in there in the first place. I do remember clicking "add coordinate to this log" in my second attempt. At some point the log magically went through successfully. I am not sure what the ah ha event was that allowed this to go through.

While I don't think I did anything wrong, that is always a possibility. I had done this in the past. Not often, but it was easy even though I had never done it before. It was a real pain today when I thought would know what I was doing. A feature is usually not considered broken till multiple reports are received. I'm was just putting this out as an FYI and waiting to see if anyone else experiences an issue with it. I don’t even want to think about needing it again any time soon. See any holes in my method?

Edited by Cardinal Red

This topic reminded me that I needed to update the coordinates to one of my caches.

And, I confirm that the process has changed as described by the OP. The strangest thing is to have the log coordinates filled with zeros at first and then filled with the default coordinates from the listing, once I select the log coordinates selection box.

Obviously, warned by the topic I ticked the "Add a coordinate to this log " right after the system asked it and the rest was ok.

So, just to be sure, I repeated the attempt to update the coordinates (this time without finishing the process) and because I selected the "Add a coordinate to this log " right in the beginning, the boxes where filled with the actual coordinates correctly, allowing me to update them.

My conclusion: one should select the "Add a coordinate to this log", right after selecting the log type and before hitting the "Submit log entry" button. Once I select that selection box, the system blinks the log form and the boxes with the current coordinates appears - as it was, some times ago, when I had to update coordinates of another cache.

Please try and see if it works well for you too.

Okay, I see what you're talking about now. I thought it used to automatically display the "attach coordinates" fields when you selected "Update coordinates", but it doesn't appear to do that now. The last couple of times I've needed to update the coordinates, I've gone through the "Edit Listing" page. When you go there, there's a link in the coordinate section that says "modify your cache coordinates via a log entry". When you click this, it takes you to the log entry page with "Update coordinates" already selected and the coordinate fields displayed.

I'm not sure if it's a bug or a change in functionality, but when the log type is set to "Update coordinates", the coordinate fields should be automatically displayed. It isn't at all intuitive that you need to manually select "Add a coordinate to this log" when submitting an "Update coordinates" log.

Update coords from the "edit listing" link rather than the "update coords" log; you'll see a much more intuitive action.

In the navigation box in the upper right corner of the cache page, click "edit listing" - now you're on cache report form (old version).

Under the current coords you'll see

You can modify your cache coordinates via a log entry.

Clicking the underlined text will take you to a coordinate update log page. Add a coordinate to this log is already checked, and the current coords of the cache already loaded into those boxes - figuring out how to modify them from this state is easy.

As noted, if you use the log type "update coordinates" you have to notice and check the box, "add Add a coordinate to this log."

That check box is below the text entry field, in the gray pane, almost below the scroll line on my browser (Firefox 14) (with Greasemonkey resize text box script off).

A lot of coordinate update logs register no change, because the cache owner just puts the coords in the text box.

Did anybody notice that Groundspeak has programmed some sanity back into the Update Coordinates log?

At least for a little while. Site functionality is a moving target.

Now selecting the Update Coordinates log type automatically checks off the Add a coordinate to this log box. It also brings up the data box pre-filled with the current coords. Just like the You can modify your cache coordinates via a log entry method that had previously been pointed out to me.

I wonder what finally brought it to their attention?