Basics of Wherigo

St.Matthew

Question

Just getting into Geocaching. Did a few caches on the NC 50 point star a few weeks ago, liked it and am going back to hit the rest this weekend.

Most appear to be regular caches like the ones I found. Two ask geology questions where I have to e-mail the CO - still looking for that link.

One end point on a leg is a Wherigo. I've been reading up on the concept and sort of understand it - haven't down loaded anything yet.

Under the instructions it says to travel to all points of the star and then you will receive the location of the Wherigo Cache.

So the questions would be

1. If you are playing that Wherigo does it record or log your position as you hit the points and when you hit the 5th one it gives you a set of coordinates for the actual Wherigo?

2. Is there a cache to look for at the Wherigo point or is the location just used to notify you there is a Wherigo in play?

Edited to add - One of the reasons I ask is because I found one of the points last time - and I was planning on hitting the Wherigo point 4th - not first this time.

http://www.Wherigo.com/cartridge/details.aspx?CGUID=fc638859-0aee-4f1f-9312-bf76325b3cf6

Edited by AKA Pete

This is correct. I helped the cache owner create the cartridge while we were on an airplane bound for Las Vegas (for caching: I have never gambled). Later, I'll need to adapt the cartridge for the Nevada star.

For the star, you'll need to stop and resume the cartridge at each point. Don't allow the cartridge to play continuously as it will drain your phone's battery (as would any other GPS app). Do the point closest to the parking area first. Go a short distance away, save your game, and shut down the Wherigo app. Bring the app back up, resume your game, and check to see it still has that first zone recorded as visited. If not, you may have an issue with your phone's battery during the hike. I did the FTF hike on a full charge and the phone was at, I think, a quarter charge when I finished. Welcome to my neck of the world.

Anyway, once all five zones/points have been visited, the cartridge tells you where the final is. I suggest you prioritize the star points before any other caches not on the star. Watch your step and give yourself plenty of time to do the hike.

Dang, it worked.

Went out this weekend. Got out late Friday, went down near the parking lot point, turned on the program, walked to near the site and it loaded no problem. Turned off the phone and made it to the Northern point by dark where than one loaded also. Spent Saturday working around the other legs where the western and southwestern points loaded just fine. Was just one point short of the SE point by dark Saturday evening. Got up early Sunday and moved out as soon as it was light enough to see. Got near the point, turned on the program, walked in and Bingo the final point loaded.

What happened next surprised me a bit. I was expecting co-ords or a message but got a distance and bearing. Didn't plot it on my map as I'll need a return trip anyway to find the three caches I couldn't find this trip.

Carrying a backpack slows you down a bit but it's nice to be able to just stop and camp when it gets dark.

No problems running the program on an iPhone 5. Get near a site, take out the phone, take it off airplane mode, walk in, the site loads, get your information, turn off program, put phone on airplane mode and repeat.

Thanks for the program.