What to do about coin "thieves"?

VirginianSummer

Wait a second... I'm the first to suggest drawing and quartering is too good for a coin thief but there is no evidence of that here. Not yet anyway. Are we talking about this coin- TB4R68Q? It was picked up on 7/25/12 and the cacher has not been caching since the day after doing so.

Yes, protocols call for not keeping a traveler longer than 2 weeks before dropping into another cache but accusing someone of being a thief for going over that period is a wee bit too harsh. Stuff happens. Someone really gets excited about caching one month and is cold about it the next or something else. Bottom line is the person has not gone caching since picking it up and has not had a chance to drop it off yet. Take it easy and breathe.

Send the cacher polite and kind messages to explain that the coin belongs to a very impatient little girl with little impulse control and you're having a hard time explaining to her that we don't always get our way especially when we want strangers far far away to cooperate and maybe she can help you soothe this little girls' feelings by moving the coin along.

But beware. Geocoin loss is very common and if you can't accept losing one it's not a good idea to leave it unattended in a box in the woods.

Edited by Droo

Aww man, I can't believe I got snooked into responding to the second thread on the same topic posted 5 hours apart. That's not okay. If you don't like the responses you're getting on the first thread don't start another with wild and unsubstantiated accusations. That's not okay.

Just saw advice, therefor this one's empty, as stupid me has not yet figured out how to delete a topic I started :(

I hope you realize the cacher currently in possession of your coin may read these forums and not appreciate being called a thief. They were just online on Saturday September 1, possibly searching caches, or reading how someone thinks they stole their coin! If the later is the case, it is entirely possible you have sealed the fate of your own coin. If I knew someone thought I stole their coin and advertised the fact on a public forum, I may be inclined to hold it a little longer. Not forever, but, long enough to make a point!

You really need to remember that some people have a life outside of caching and may not be on the same timeline as you. A nice note on the coins page would get a better response then name calling every time.