Oregon 450 loses one geocache

I've noticed lately, and since the last update to version 5.80, that if I download three or four single geocaches from Geocaching.com via USB cable to my Oregon 450, one geocache will "drop off". After downloading the caches and while the device is still connected, I always check the GPX files in the Garmin folder and confirm the numbers but after disconnecting (properly), one GPX file always disappears. Another unusual occurance is everytime I plug in the device to my PC, I now get a pop-up asking, "Do you want to scan and fix Oregon (K:)". I do the scan and get an OK saying nothing was found and that it's working properly. These two conditions I've noted may have nothing to do at all with the latest version but I'm curious if others have experienced something similar.

I've noticed lately, and since the last update to version 5.80, that if I download three or four single geocaches from Geocaching.com via USB cable to my Oregon 450, one geocache will "drop off".

I still have update 5.20, but sometimes have entire Pocket Queries vanish in a weird way. The file appears to have arrived on the Garmin, it's listed. But when I try to pull up caches in that GPX, there aren't any. The file is taking up space, but the GPSr doesn't see any of its caches.

If I first save the file to a folder on the computer, it's fine. If I instead "open" the file without saving first, sometimes it does it's little amnesia thing. So I simply try it again and it always works on the 2nd try.

This seems different from the problem you mention, but the cause may be similar. It's a file handling issue, either by Windows or Garmin, and may be (for example) a file not "closing" properly. So (just as an example) if you waited five more seconds, everything would "finish saving". I'd suspect that would cause "scan and fix" popups, but mine hasn't had those. If you always "eject" the Garmin from Windows, none of the file problems should happen. I never do the "eject", so I'm just asking for trouble, but if you always do, the problem is caused by something else.

It's been so random and so easy to work around, I haven't researched it.

Edited by kunarion

Thanks, kunarion. No, it's not a big deal for me either. I can work around it but I was just curious. I'll take your advice and allow extra time for things to finish properly. Thanks again!

I've updated to 5.80. If you can list the steps to disaster :anicute:, I can test it now. Are the GPX files for single caches?

On a completely unrelated note, RAO II doesn't crash my 550T now! I always try that with a new firmware update. That cache description has the remains of a Geocaching.com server database corruption that happened a couple of years ago (you see it at the bottom of the cache description, it looks like "az???", at least I guess that's where the issue is). Now the Garmin ignores the code, rather than crashing the device. Cool.

Edited by kunarion

hummm, sounds like an intermittent memory fault. I had that on my first 450, it went from bad to worse in a week and I had to send it in. only took 3 weeks to get it replaced, gotta love Canada's Garmin authorized repair center :mad: I would bet thats your issue as well, could be your memory card, if that is the drive the PC is asking to fix replace the card else it's your internal memory. only one fix for that. Replace.

hummm, sounds like an intermittent memory fault. I had that on my first 450, it went from bad to worse in a week and I had to send it in. only took 3 weeks to get it replaced, gotta love Canada's Garmin authorized repair center :mad: I would bet thats your issue as well, could be your memory card, if that is the drive the PC is asking to fix replace the card else it's your internal memory. only one fix for that. Replace.

I was looking at touch screen replacements ($20 on ebay), and noticed that Garmin will fully refurbish a 550T for $110. I'd suppose they don't actually fix it, they just grab a "refurbished" one from the pile. But that's not bad, $110 for the max cost to "repair" most any issue, if out of warranty. For a touch screen, I'd give it a shot at home. For a cracked LED screen, it might be worth taking a chance with “refurbished”. Same for “internal memory”, probably.

My 550T's memory problem seems more like an issue with Windows. If I “open” the GPX directly from the Pocket Query page, it sometimes arrives “empty” (as mentioned, the GPX file itself looks fine in every way, but something's missing somehow). If I select “download”, and then send open the GPX file, it's fine. Maybe I just need to give it more time, and either procedure would work. But I typically don't see the problem til I'm out in the field and the caches aren't showing up.

If the OP doesn't even see the GPX file itself on the GPSr, it's a different issue anyway.

It may not shoe up if the file becomes corrupted by bad memory area's. I've seen some really strange things over the years working with computer when it comes to memory faults. I've been in the business of repairing mission critical computers since core memory was the memory of choice. But one things for sure, if it's memory, it will not fix itself, only get progressively worse. Not a fun thoing when your alone in teh woods and the GPS doesn't know which way is which anymore, been there, done that.

I finally got it sorted out. It was a defective USB cable causing the problem. I successfully downloaded several single geocaches one by one onto my Oregon 450 using another computer and another USB cable. No missing caches and no pop-up. Thank you to those who took the time to add their comments.