Metal detecting ...

fuzziebear3

Check out this log (mine) from TB35PYG U.S. Flag Micro Geocoin (not mine).

Wow!! About a week ago, I got the following e-mail:

----------------

I metal detect as a hobby and found your geo coin.I do not geocach but I would Like to return this back to you somehow so you can send this on.

I found this at the bottom on the sledding hill.

----------------

This kind soul actually found this coin, figured out what it was, made an account, realized that I had looked for it (although I had only marked that I didn't find it), and contacted me through the geocaching e-mail system.

After a couple e-mails back and forth, we agreed on a time and place to meet, and he handed over this coin to me. I'm not sure how it jumped out of the last cache, he said it was found about 2 inches under the soil at the bottom of the hill (the cache is at the bottom of the hill too). It is actually in great shape -- I think it was in a flip which was quite dirty, but the cardboard it is still in is perfectly clean. I am thrilled to get it back in the game! I will be taking it to an event this weekend and will hand it off then.

Check out this log (mine) from TB35PYG U.S. Flag Micro Geocoin (not mine).

Wow!! About a week ago, I got the following e-mail:

----------------

I metal detect as a hobby and found your geo coin.I do not geocach but I would Like to return this back to you somehow so you can send this on.

I found this at the bottom on the sledding hill.

----------------

This kind soul actually found this coin, figured out what it was, made an account, realized that I had looked for it (although I had only marked that I didn't find it), and contacted me through the geocaching e-mail system.

After a couple e-mails back and forth, we agreed on a time and place to meet, and he handed over this coin to me. I'm not sure how it jumped out of the last cache, he said it was found about 2 inches under the soil at the bottom of the hill (the cache is at the bottom of the hill too). It is actually in great shape -- I think it was in a flip which was quite dirty, but the cardboard it is still in is perfectly clean. I am thrilled to get it back in the game! I will be taking it to an event this weekend and will hand it off then.

That was sure nice of that guy to get it back to you so that you can keep it going.

That's a great story, there is still kindness out there.

I have a somewhat different story to tell, but on the same lines:

I have a lanyard on my Oregon along with a matching coin.

Last summer I had misplaced my lanyard as I have to take it off the Oregon in order to change batteries.

I searched all of the usual places in the house, checked my boy friends flat as well and couldn't find it.

After a few weeks I got a mail from someone, who found my lanyard with coin while on holidays. He agreed to send it back to me and now I've got the lanyard back. It's a very nice lanyard and this person was also a muggle who just to return the thing made an account.

There are still some really nice persons out there. :anicute:

Neat story. I was out placing a couple caches last evening and scouted around where an old archived cache with a coin in it may have been. Looks like the hill was cleared of all brush and is regularly mowed. No trace of container pieces, so I'll give up on trying a metal detector around the area - the cache containing it was likely removed intact.

That's a great story!! I wonder how often Geocachers and Metal Detector hobbyists run into one another!

We haven't run into a case where nearby metal detector folks have talked to us, but we have encountered them 'nearby' doing their thing while we did ours. Neither one seemed to mind the other's presence.