Trackables Marked with APP code

riccar79

OK, I'm still a little behind with technology, hubby has smart phone. We picked up a 'trackable' item, a small match box car that has labels on it - one identifying it as a trackable and the other an app like a UPC symbol - what does husband have to download to his phone in order to read the app so we can log it and move it along ?? Thanks for all your help. riccar79

Welcome to geocaching!

If it is a geocoin or travelbug, there should be somewhere 'track at geocaching.com' on the item.

The code is identifying the trackable item (a 6 digit/letter combination).

The intention is that the item is moving to a next geocache.

You can find out the owner and the journey of the trackable here:

www.geocaching.com/track

Edit: I noticed, that you are geocaching member since 2007, so you probably must know what a trackable item is. <_<

Maybe check with the owner of the trackable item what the code is about.

Edited by woejam

Did it have a metal tag, like one of these?

300px-Travel_bug_tag.jpg

If it did, then you use the tracking code number on the tag - usually a combination of letters and numbers.

Put the tracking number into the first box on this link: http://www.geocaching.com/track/

That will take you to that trackable's page where you can do your log.

If it's not like the metal tag, or you can't find anything that looks like a tracking number, please post again :)

NB: If you do find the tracking number please don't post it in any forum post, or in your logs - it should be kept private. :)

MrsB

The UPC symbol on the travel bug tag is not a working symbol, it is a logo.

If what you see is a QR code (square and dotted or checkered looking, instead of bar code lines) then that is something found on another website and it is not related to geocaching.com. The TB owner may be trying to play two games with one tag or someone else attached it. We never attach anything to someone else's Trackable without asking first. Even if it's just a plastic bag.

Edited by Eartha
Edit typo
hubby has smart phone. [...] and the other an app like a UPC symbol - what does husband have to download to his phone in order to read the app so we can log it and move it along ??

"App" nowadays usually is a reference to "application", a piece of software for a smartphone. I think you mean a QR code (see: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Qr_code ). This basically is a 2 dimensional code which can contain a lot more of information than a 1 dimensional barcode, often this information is a web address. I know this used for trackables to give a quick link to the TB web site, making it easier for smartphone users to get there, without the hassle of entering numbers/letters.

Look for a QR code reader on your smartphone to decode the information (and maybe beeing transferred to the encoded website). For more help we would need the brand of your smartphone (iPhone/iOs, Android-based, other?) and/or a picture of the "thing" you refer to.

On iPhone I can recommend (because I use them myself) the following free apps: "i-nigma" (just a QR code reader, opens web browser if applicable) and "barcoo" (additionally connected to an item database). Available free in the App-store.

It sounds to me like you may have found a QR-Talker which is a trackable item that uses a QR code. I use a program on my phone called Neoreader to scan them which will direct you to the trackable's page

Thank you. I hadn't heard of the neoreader. That is another possibility.