Non-accessible Areas

I wasn't sure where to put this, but here it is: We had a large fire called the Pine Ridge Fire in DeBeque, Co (zip 81630) this July. Caches that have been placed in the Wild Horse Area may not be accessible for some time. Anybody who goes into this area MUST be on the lookout for signs posted by BLM stating which roads/trails can be travelled. There are random BLM patrols out there, and some areas have been closed for the next year for resource management. Violators will be prosecuted with fines and jail time. Many of you may never be in this area, but I wanted to get the word out all the same. Thanks.

I wasn't sure where to put this, but here it is: We had a large fire called the Pine Ridge Fire in DeBeque, Co (zip 81630) this July. Caches that have been placed in the Wild Horse Area may not be accessible for some time. Anybody who goes into this area MUST be on the lookout for signs posted by BLM stating which roads/trails can be travelled. There are random BLM patrols out there, and some areas have been closed for the next year for resource management. Violators will be prosecuted with fines and jail time. Many of you may never be in this area, but I wanted to get the word out all the same. Thanks.

Perhaps more suited to the regional subforum:

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showforum=23

B.

Probably the best place to post this is on the pages of the caches affected by the situation (as a note).

I suppose there might be COs who would balk at this and delete the notes, but at least some of the potential visitors to the area would become aware of the situation.

As well, (if you do this) a note should be posted when the 'ALL CLEAR' is given.

I would suggest that all of the Cache Owners that have caches in the restricted areas should disable their caches for the duration. Their note on the disabling log should state the reasons and when they will be enabled again. I'm pretty sure the reviewers would allow a long period for these reasons.

In effect, the areas affected have become "Temporary No Trespassing" areas.

I would suggest that all of the Cache Owners that have caches in the restricted areas should disable their caches for the duration. Their note on the disabling log should state the reasons and when they will be enabled again. I'm pretty sure the reviewers would allow a long period for these reasons.

I had two caches disabled for almost two years because of the Station Fire in the Angeles National Forest. There are still closed areas with disabled caches in them. A map full of disabled caches serves as a notice to cachers that the area is closed. It's better than a cacher seeing a big blank area and deciding that it "needs" a cache.

Interesting how they handle fire damage zones down there.

We had a bunch of large fires this summer in Northern Ontario. I don't think our Ministry of Natural Resources has a policy like down there.

I will however be looking into it and letting our locals know if there is a similar policy.

We had a bunch of large fires this summer in Northern Ontario. I don't think our Ministry of Natural Resources has a policy like down there.

I will however be looking into it and letting our locals know if there is a similar policy.

http://www.mnr.gov.on.ca/en/Business/AFFM/2ColumnSubPage/STDPROD_087226.html

Current Emergency Area Orders

The Forest Fires Prevention Act empowers the Minister of Natural Resources to use an Emergency Area Order to take whatever action is deemed necessary to safeguard human life and private property against the threat of wildfire. Putting the order in place is a precaution that allows the ministry to move quickly to restrict access to areas being threatened.

Ontario's Rules and Laws Controlling the Use of Fire

http://www.mnr.gov.on.ca/en/Business/AFFM/2ColumnSubPage/STEL02_165444.html

A list of the Fire Management Headquarters:

http://www.mnr.gov.on.ca/en/Business/AFFM/2ColumnSubPage/STEL02_165796.html

There was a very recent evacuation of campers from the east side of Algonquin Park due to wildfire concerns. Other areas in Ontario saw residents being evacuated.

My understanding is that if an area is of concern, then the MNR will post a "restricted travel" notice there.

B.

Edited by Pup Patrol

http://www.mnr.gov.on.ca/en/Business/AFFM/2ColumnSubPage/STDPROD_087226.html

Current Emergency Area Orders

The Forest Fires Prevention Act empowers the Minister of Natural Resources to use an Emergency Area Order to take whatever action is deemed necessary to safeguard human life and private property against the threat of wildfire. Putting the order in place is a precaution that allows the ministry to move quickly to restrict access to areas being threatened.

Ontario's Rules and Laws Controlling the Use of Fire

http://www.mnr.gov.on.ca/en/Business/AFFM/2ColumnSubPage/STEL02_165444.html

A list of the Fire Management Headquarters:

http://www.mnr.gov.on.ca/en/Business/AFFM/2ColumnSubPage/STEL02_165796.html

There was a very recent evacuation of campers from the east side of Algonquin Park due to wildfire concerns. Other areas in Ontario saw residents being evacuated.

My understanding is that if an area is of concern, then the MNR will post a "restricted travel" notice there.

B.

I understand the system in place if there is a current fire threat. From what I got from the OP, the actions taken there was after the fact.

+1

Sounds like these caches need to be temporarily disabled until the are is clear again. But barring that, I know I would certainly appreciate a note on the cache listing page (either by the CO or someone local in the know) telling me of any potential road closures or other impediments to finding a cache. I would hate to drive all the way out to an area to do some caching only to find out the area was closed.