Geocoin Logging

I recently found my first geocoin and logged it as retrieved on the geocoin page. I noticed in the coin’s log that the previous “handler” also logged all of the caches they had visited with the coin without actually placing the coin. I found a micro cache since retrieving the geocoin so I couldn’t leave it at that location (plus the area isn’t somewhere I would trust leaving it anyway…). I would still like to log that the geocoin “visited” that cache but I can’t figure out the page I need to visit in order to do this. Is this common geocoin etiquette? To log the cache’s visited along the way, until you release the coin back into the wild?

Thanks,

Ramblin Raccoons

You can do it by dropping the coin into the cache and then retrieving it. Two logs. A bit tedious after a while.

I'm not sure about the etiquette though for someone else's coin or travel bug. I imagine it's different in different regions. If it were your own coin, that's fine (some do it to track their own travels).

It used to be necessary to do two logs - a drop off, then a retrieve - to register that a trackable had been to a cache but the 'Visit' can now be done with just one action.

How?

You just do it with a log onto the cache page - either when you do your Found log, or go back to the cache page and do a Note log. Write the log comments in the box then, before submitting it, look underneath where the trackables in your inventory will be listed. Select the action 'visited' next to the geocoin name... then submit the log. That will put the log onto the cache page and give the geocoin a visit ("Took it to...") to show it was there.

"Is this common geocoin etiquette?"

Some trackable owners like visit logs so they can see every detail of where the item has been, other owners find them a bit boring: It can be tedious to see lots of identical logs "Cachername took it to Cachenamewhatever" with no additional information added, but at least it lets the owner know the trackable is still on the move.

MrsB